Slow domain login only on 8/8.1

We have a situation where any domain joined computers on network experience a delay from inputting the password to getting into the desktop. 

Here is the data we have thus far. 

• Non domain joined computers do not have this symptom
  • Domain joined computers that are off network log in instantly, so it is definitely GPO processing. 
  • Slow link is NOT detected, event logs specifically state that it sees the link as a non slow link, and thus will not throttle the connection. 
  • DNS servers are pointing at the correct addresses. 
  • All computers are kept up to date
  • AV: Vipre business
  • We have minimal item targeting, only used for printers and mapping a DFS namespace
  • One server in the domain is running 2003, soon to be retired, other than that, all are 2008R2 and 2012
  • All DC's were online at the time of the tests, and responded to pings. 

At this point, here is how I am attempting to find the problem:

I am building a test group to duplicate the issue, and am adding GPO's one at a time, timing the login after adding it. My hope is that this will point out the culprit. 

I can provide any logs or information that you need. Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

June 23rd, 2015 7:52pm

Any scripts running for the windows 8 machines, or any WMi filters?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2015 7:28am

Hi

There are a few aspects could impact the log in time. Such as gpo with scripts, gpo with WMI filters and you can check if you configured the startup policy processing wait time.

You can check the below link for some more reference:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2013/05/23/group-policy-and-logon-impact.aspx

Best Regards,

Elaine

June 24th, 2015 9:56am

We have found several GPO's to be the culprit and are now attempting to find why they are causing issues. 

Two that are taking 10 seconds a piece is the creation of 2 shortcut files. This is particularly odd, as we have several more of these that present no issues. 

From there we have an item level targeted drive mapping that takes 7 seconds, 

We have an item level target printer GPO that takes 15 seconds

Finally we have 2 registry settings that are applied at 5-7 seconds a piece.

The interesting part through all of this is that we are using the same policies on both 7 and 8, and while we are experiencing a large delay in windows 8, we are seeing 8 second logins, versus the 40+ seconds for 8.

I am currently gathering more data and will report here with it. 

EDIT: The root cause of the printer slowness was using preferences instead of deploying via printer management which uses policies

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2015 4:49pm

As we suspected then . Slow processing the question is answered right?
July 10th, 2015 6:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics