Slow Performance - Windows Server 2008
I've got a perplexing issue I'm needing help with. I'm in the process of migrating some SQL Server DBs from SQL Server 2008 32-bit on Windows 2003 (32 bit) to a brand new server (Windows 2008 64-bit, SQL Server 2008 64-bit). Everything went real smooth on the server, but once we started using the databases on the client side, we noticed significant performance issues (i.e. a simple table queryfrom the client machine tothe old server taking less than 1 sec. takes over 3 minutes run against the new server!!!).In the troubleshooting process, we observed some other behaviors that indicate it's not SQL-specific in nature. One example:-remote desktop performance(1) I noticed when working with remote desktop on the new server, it seemed a little slow and would periodically "freeze", whereas I would have to wait a minute or two for it to "catch up" before I could continue working...and(2) Both servers have GIS client software loaded on them - when comparing a simple draw of an aerial photograph, the image from the remote desktop session on the old server is way faster than that on the new server...These two factors tell me that it is not SQL-specific whatsoever. To boot, I did a similar upgrade last week and had no problems whatsoever (the only differences were (1)the new server had Windows 2008 R2, the current "new" server has the first release of Windows 2008...and (2) last week's work was done in a virtualized environment...)...Both servers are on the same switch.I did upgrade the new server to SP 2 for Windows 2008...Thinking it was a network issue, we copied a 750MB file to each server and the new server was actually faster, however copying a single .exe file (app. 5MB in size) took over a minute to go to the 2008 box and just a couple of seconds to go to the 2003 box...making me think it's some sort of Windows issue???I'm not a hardware guy, but I'm wondering if it could be NIC-related? Otherwise, I'm assuming it's a Windows issue (i.e. corrupt install)...Does anyone have any ideas?Thanks in advance.Kent RothrockHighland Mapping, Inc.Kent Rothrock
November 18th, 2009 9:16pm

My issues aren't entirely the same - they were sql server specific -but it might help so here goes ...I had a problemwhere a client queryingSQLServer2008 DB on my old machine (running XP)took 1 mins. The same query againsta new high spec server running SQLServer2008DBon Windows Server 2003 R2 took longer (2 mins). At first I thought this must be a network issue, but eliminated this by simply trying to ftp a file instead - the new server was much faster. Eventually got the DB queries on thenew server to go faster than on the old server by reconfiguring the network package size to 8192 from the default 4096. You have to do this on both the sql server & on the client.Hope this helpsJoe
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2009 6:40pm

"last week's work was done in a virtualized environment...)..." The issue that you experienced was in a virtualized environment? Did you allocate enough resources for the virtual machines? Bits of Fury
December 10th, 2009 7:51pm

I have the same case of 'murphman' any one can help?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2010 4:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics