Slow Network traffic Windows server 2008 R2 X64 - Windows 2003 R2 Standard
Hi all, I'm having issues when transferring large files across a local gigabit network using HP manged Gigabit switches. We do not utilise any IPV6 resources, the machines are on fixed IPv4 addresses within the same subnet. Servers/Scenario: Windows Server 2008 R2 Server X64 with teamed network cards both network adaptors are plugged in to a Gigabit HP manged network switch Windows Server 2003 R2 Server with teamed network cards both plugged into the same Gigabit Hp switch Both servers show the current teamed connection is rated at 1 Gb/s. Our SQL server does large bakcups on a nightly basis which are around 120gig SQL backup files. To enable disaster recovery the backup files are copied off the Windows 2008 server to the Windows 2003 Server on a nightly basis. The databases are also mirroed elsewhere. Recently the overnight copying has failed regardless of the method used. I have attempted to do this via Robocopy, copy direct to a mapped drive on the 2003 box, pointed the sql backups to the mapped drive on the 2003 box. Each attempt at copying these files across usualy fails or times out due to a network error, copying the files manually achieves a throughput of around 5-7 Mb's and eventually times out or causes the whole network in the building to grind to a halt. The teamed Network cards have got Qos enabled and the duplex/nic speed is set to auto. If both servers are set to auto configuration speed does this mean that during file copy they will be struggling to figure out what speed they whouls be recieving/transmitting at? Would setting one of the nics to 1000/full setting fix my issue? Obviousley both servers are used heavily through the day and changing network settings whilst there are 100 or so users accessing the servers isn't a good idea. Any help on this matter would be really appreciated. Thanks! Robbie
August 23rd, 2011 5:35am

Hi Robbie, Thanks for posting here. I’d suggest first to test by dispartting the NIC teaming on both server and make hosts connect to your network with a latest firmware and driver software updated physical NIC. Please also temporarily disable any antivirus software on both servers. You can also test to disable the following features by executing the following commands through a privileged command prompt on Windows Server 2008 R2 machine: (a) netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled (b) netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled (c) netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled And have you recently modified any system setting (hotfix installation , device replacement ..etc.) before this issue occurred? Please also verify the detail events that regarding failed data transfer form event viewer and post back here. Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2011 12:37am

Hi Robbie, If there is any update on this issue,Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com. please feel free to let us know.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 25th, 2011 8:05am

Tiger Li, I'm having the same issue with Windows Server 2003 DC. I have the problem transferring any files over ~500MB even from local CD. I can transfer a 500MB file in a few minutes, but if I try and transfer a larger file, ~4GB, it freezes up my server. I cannot use the keyboard or open any applications. Users cannot login to the domain as there is no network connection. This happens even when try to move a large file from a CD. I've had this problem before on a Windows Server 2003 x64 server, but I was able to resolve it by creating this registry key - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemCacheDirtyPageThreshold and setting it to 32 (decimal). I've tried that on this server, but there is no change in performance. This server was just setup less than a month ago and we've had the problems from the getgo. NTBackup seems to run fine without freezing up the system - 200GB backup. Thanks. Alicia
August 25th, 2011 9:11am

An update to my problem: I don't have any problems reading (and copying large files) from the server share, I only have problems when I'm writing to the OS hard drive. I have an external hard drive I use for backups, and I don't have any problems copying large files to the exernal drive from the server. However, major problems when I copy from the external drive to the server hard drive. Alicia
August 25th, 2011 11:07am

Hi Alicia, Thanks for posting here. You mentioned that this server was just been updated to SBS 2011 form SBS 2003, so is this on same server or same hardware environment ? According the description ,it seems a hardware or driver software related issue, can you first try to update the latest firmware and driver for your server first ? especially the storage or bus controller . It can be downloaded from their website . Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 25th, 2011 10:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics