Slow-Start
I have a server management question which, for some reason, no one seems to know the answer. I am aware that according to RFC1122 that TCP Slow-Start must be enabled on a network that is on-line but that it can be disabled on a private network that is never on-line to the internet. How do you disable TCP Slow-Start? Your assist in this would be much appreciated Regards
June 11th, 2006 4:13pm

You are correct that the Jacobson (TCP) Slow Start algorithm is a must have feature per the RFC, and is thus an integral part of the Windows TCP/IP stacks design. Due to this fact it cannot be disabled. Can you share the reason behind your desire to disable this functionality? Also, you should take a look at the new auto-tuning stack features coming Windows Server Longhorn (and Windows Vista) which provide dynamic scaling of TCP/IP parameters, like the receive window size, on a per connection basis. This Cable Guy article offers more insights on this and other performance enhancements coming in the next releases of Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1105.mspx Cheers,Ian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2006 4:36am

Does anyone know how to adjust or override this setting? I'm trying to improve the perceived speed of my web servers.
November 28th, 2010 9:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics