Slicers Disappear

Slicers Disappear

I have created (& REGULARLY use) PowerPivot (PP) PivotTables (PTs).

After (first) saving the Excel 2010 file (on a hosted 64-bit server platform), the slicers (vertical & horizontal) disappear -- ONLY from the field boxes on the right. Nonetheless, the (originally set / selected) slicers REMAIN (with)in the bounding boxes to the left (vertical) & top (horizontal) bounding boxes.

You can DELETE (& recreate) the (originally set / selected) slicers (with)in the bounding boxes to the left (vertical) & top (horizontal) bounding boxes -- but you canNOT ADD any slicers (to any EXISTING horizontal or vertical bounding boxes -- OR add ANY once they disappear). Once any slicer is deleted -- it is GONE -- & canNOT be replaced -- but it can be DELETED & RECREATED. [Of course, this is a MAJOR PAIN -- takes a LOT of time -- & 'lasts' ONLY for the current session (at most).

Notwithstanding, the Report filters, Column labels, Row labels & Values (measures) remain as set. NO similar ('stability')  problem seems to exist with respect to these.

(As noted) I can delete ALL slicers -- & RECREATE them okay -- BUT the SAME thing happens when(ever) the Excel file is saved & reopened.

This occurs on ANY PP-PT that I use / create; is it is 'consistent' behavior & is NOT 'selective' or 'intermittent' behavior...

My principal .xlsb Excel workbooks are ~130MB file size.

How can I get the slicers to STOP disappearing -- & to be STABLE ???

James M Birney

May 9th, 2012 9:32am

hi, could you please check the below link, it may help you.

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/marco_russo/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 9th, 2012 2:34pm

James,

I have no end of problems with slicers.  The problem you describe is similar to one I encountered:  The slicers are still on the sheet, but are not listed in the Fields list.  If I add another slicer, it actually moves things around, as if it is not aware that there are already slicers on the sheet.

Things get really confusing when you have both a pivottable and chart on the same page.

One thing that will cause this is when you drag slicers out of their bounding box (the one that appears when you click on a pivot table) - but that happens immediately for me - not just after saving.

bob

July 13th, 2012 1:14pm

Well, the only 'solution' or 'workaround' that I (yet) have been able to identify -- is to (MANUALLY) RECREATE the ENTIRE (workbook &) worksheet(s) -- complete with new slicers...

So far, for the ~3 workbooks (containing multiple PowerPivot PivotTables & slicers) where I have REBUILT them -- the slicers (so far) have been stable -- & have NOT exhibited the 'disappearing' phenomenon...

By contrast, NO amount of 'fiddling' around with EXISTING worksheets / workbooks seems to create a STABLE environment...

At present, I am 'resigned' to recreating & rebuilding ANYTHING that goes 'WHACKO' -- pretty much whatever the reason...

Also, I haven't succeeded in being able to create VBA code to (re)create / (re)establish PowerPivot PivotTables -- with a specified set of slicers...

I would be (VERY) interested to references to anyone who has been successful in using code to (re)create / (re)establish PowerPivot PivotTables -- with a specified set of slicers...

Thanks for any references you may provide...

Cheers...

James M Birney

July 13th, 2012 3:17pm

Hi, I've found a very easy workaround. When your horizontal or vertical slicer block gets broken, before you do anything else just select the slicer block (not the individual slicers) and simply modify a bit it's width or height or just slightly move the whole block and the slicers will be back in the block. It worked for me, hope it will help you too.
February 14th, 2013 2:50pm

Thanks for your comment(s)...

Unfortunately, the 'disappearance' involves EVERYTHING re the slicers -- bounding box(es) / rectangle(s) -- AND the slicers themselves...

The only 'fix' that I've so far 'found' -- is to COMPLETELY rebuild FROM SCRATCH the PP PTs...

I've developed some (SLOW-executing) VBA routines that sets most of it up.... I'm also anxious to see what difference / stability (if any) Excel 2013 will yield...
james m birney
February 14th, 2013 3:44pm

An update:

As far as stability is concerned, I changed the way I add slicers several months ago and have had no more problems:

- Instead of adding slicers using the field list, I simply select the pivot table, click the "Insert" tab, and click "Slicers".

- This brings up a dialog letting you select all the slicers you want

- Slicers are added but not within the bounding box - which has other issues.

- Then arrange the slicers: place size, ... you can even change the number of columns of buttons in the slicer.

- Select all slicers and set the Properties opetion to "Do not move or resize"

This is a little more work up front but saves time and frustration.

bob

ps:  I think this has turned out to be the only way you can add slicers in 2013 (only had a quick look)

February 14th, 2013 5:48pm

Perhaps there are two different problems?

One is the disappearing slicers which it seems has a workaround (click on a PT/PC before opening the PowerPivot window and refreshing the data).  When this problem occurs, the slicer areas in the field list are still there but empty, and the slicers disappear from the dashboard area.

The other problem seems to be where the slicer areas disappear from the field list box.  Could this be due to the multiple types of field lists available? 

There is the regular Excel 2010 PivotTable Field List which is accessible from the PivotTable Tools Options tab.  (You also get this field list to show up when you right click inside your PT and select the Show Field List option.)  The PivotTable Field List does not have the slicer areas.  Nor does it allow you to access the bounding boxes around your existing slicers.

There is another field list icon which is available on the PowerPivot tab.  If you click that button, you will get the PowerPivot Field List.  Slicer areas are visible as is your access to the slicer bounding boxes.
March 20th, 2013 8:09pm

Regarding bob mick's post about manually adding slicers, I can only agree and recommend it, I also have completely given up adding slicers via the field list. It is supposed to be a help, but then Clippy was that, too.

However, I did not know about the "Do not move or resize" bit, which takes away the "danger" of accidently messing things up, so thanks for that. And I think it is correct that this is the only way to add slicers in Excel 2013.

March 20th, 2013 9:09pm

I have migrated to 2013...

2013 seems NOT to use / have 'top' & 'left' (rectangular) bounding boxes -- & (it seems that) you can (pretty much) put slicers 'anywhere'...

In either event, I have 'automated' the (re)construction of my (principal) PowerPivot (PP) PivotTables (PTs) using VBA -- which works well -- (other than the fact that it is a bit 'inflexible' -- meaning: 'whatever you program is (ONLY) what you get')...

So far so good with 2013...

Hopefully, the 2010 issues are passe...

March 21st, 2013 5:21pm

This happened to me so many times ,

SOLUTION - delete the slicers on the pivot & Insert again (Powerpivot>field list).  Slicer appears in the filed list & add slicers.

before  you close re-adjust the outline box of the slicers & then save. when you re-open slicers are the field box & will never disappear.

March 21st, 2015 6:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics