Sleep and hibernate not available in start menu ?
Hi! In Windows 2008 I noticed that while in the logon screen the shutdown options include: - shutdown - restart - sleep - hibernate After I log in, the start menu offers only : - log off - switch user - restart - shutdown But no sleep or hibernate. Also I noticed that while logged in, after pressing ctrl-alt-del in that menu sleep and hibernate are again available. Sleep and hibernate also both correctly work. They are just missing from the start menu. Any idea why is this ? How to put them back ? Regards, David
May 29th, 2008 6:42pm

Hello, Windows Server 2008 supports the sleep feature. However, the feature depends on the following conditions: Computer hardware that supports sleep Computer Basic Input/Output Settings (BIOS) that support sleepNote Some BIOS settings let you enable or disable sleep on the computer. To use sleep, you may have to verify that support for this feature is enabled in the computer BIOS. Drivers that support sleep Note The graphics driver must support this feature. The Windows Server 2008 Super VGA (SVGA) driver does not support sleep. To enable sleep in Windows Server 2008, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power Options. 2. Under the power plan that is configured, click Change plan settings, and then click Change advanced power settings. 3. Expand Sleep, and then modify the sleep configuration settings as appropriate for your requirements. Note If Sleep does not appear on the Advanced Settings tab of the Power Options dialog box, the computer does not meet the requirements to support the sleep feature. In this scenario, you may have to update the drivers or the devices on the computer. And it is similar with hibernate feature. I hope this helps. Regards, Neo Zhu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2008 12:13pm

Jian-Ping ZhuMSFT said: I hope this helps.It does not. You did not read what I wrote: both sleep and hibernate already work.They just can not be activated from the start menu. Only from the login screen or security screen (ctrl-alt-del).Do you have Windows 2008 ? Does sleep work ? Is the "sleep" item present in the start menu ?Regards,David
June 5th, 2008 3:15pm

hi there, i understand that we are contacting you regarding the post after long time, we are in process of regressing the posts in this forum , so want to know if you still need assistance on your issue. if you need further assistance please do post it back, if not we will go ahead and mark your question as answersainath Windows Driver Development
May 1st, 2009 11:58am

They have no listening skills do they?This is why MS is doomed.They think they know what's best for us. Just like the US gov.Sure Win7 looks better, but it's clumsy as ____ and functionality has been removed, further crippling knowledgeable users.I'm a windows guy. I'm dying to buy a new dellBut, I can't get myself to do it when everything MS does is worse than what they had before.
November 27th, 2009 6:25pm

You guys are funny. There ought to be a website devoted to classic technet threads. This one is entertaining.Still, I got some useful info out of this...I'll check the BIOS settings in the morning...
January 9th, 2010 8:54am

It's like a robot is answering your question. I have the same issue. Sleep and Hibernate works fine, but the options don't appear on the Start Menu.
January 28th, 2011 8:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics