Single physical server VDI setup

I have a reasonably powerful Lenovo file server - Xeon CPU, RAID10 storage - configured as a workgroup server with the Hyper-V role installed. There are 2 VMs - a DC and a file server - these provide services to 5 domain joined computers in the office.

We now have a requirement to host one or two Windows 7 or 8 virtual desktops to be accessed remotely by specific clients of the company. I would like to use VDI, but I don't have the option of adding another physical server. I will be able to set up a second physical DC down the road when a legacy server becomes available, but at the moment the setup is as stated above.

What is the best way to configure this? I would like to leave the physical server not joined to the domain - can I still specify it as the virtualisation host in this case? I'm thinking that the file server would hold the connection broker role and the RD Web Access server role. Or should the DC hold the connection broker role?

If I absolutely have to I can add the physical server to the domain after setting up a second (physical) DC, but I'd prefer not to.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave B.

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:53 PM
September 9th, 2015 11:11pm

Hi Dave,

Based on my research, to use the new management capabilities for virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) in Windows Server 2012 /2012 R2, well need an Active Directory Domain.

The RDS deployment option also requires Active Directory. You can still deploy VDI role services on a server thats part of a workgroup by running a role-based or feature-based installation. However, Remote Desktop Management Server (RDMS) wont be available to manage or maintain your deployment. Youll have to rely solely on Windows PowerShell. We recommend deploying Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 VDI capabilities on servers that are Active Directory Domain members.

I'm thinking that the file server would hold the connection broker role and the RD Web Access server role. Or should the DC hold the connection broker role?

Its not recommended to installed services other than Directory Services and DNS on DC, please install the Connection Broker on a member server.

In addition, please check TPs reply in this related thread below:

Managing server 2012 RDS in a workgroup

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cbffb2d4-ff9d-49ee-a9ce-a60db2262422/managing-server-2012-rds-in-a-workgroup?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2015 2:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics