Single Instance Storage
I'm considering enabling single instance storage on a Windows Storage Server 2008. Can anyone point me to pros and cons of doing so? Thanks
February 23rd, 2010 6:24pm

I'm considering enabling single instance storage on a Windows Storage Server 2008. Can anyone point me to pros and cons of doing so?Thanks I do not have SIS experience on WSS but some years ago we instituted it on my enterprise RIS server so this may not be relavent. SIS worked flawlessly and backups were handled by a different team. (nightly full backups - did not make sense then or now). Anyway, one day an admin decided to clean up my image server and deleted my images. Legato was our backup vendor and the backup team preferred to run text logs to monitor backups. Had they read any of the windows event logs, they would have seen that backups were failing due to SIS - we were just backing up pointers to data and not the data itself.I saw this some months before and when rebuffed by the backup lead, I burned all my images to dvd and maintained my own archives. That was allthat saved us.I am certain backup technologies have progressed since then. good luck.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2010 8:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics