Simple(?) networking problem
Problem: Some servers cannot ping our PBX. Network: 10.1.X.X mask 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.1.3.250 PBX IP: 10.1.2.51 mask 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.1.3.250 DVR: 10.1.2.50 mask 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.1.3.250 Servers that don't work: Server 1 - Win 2008 R2 x64 IP: 10.1.1.5 Member server Server 2 - Win 2003 R2 x64 IP: 10.1.1.2 DC & DNS server Server 3 - Win 2003 R2 x64 IP: 10.1.1.3 DC & DNS Server Servers/PCs that do Server 4 - Win 2003 R2 x64 IP: 10.1.1.4 Member Server Desktop PCs 10.1.5.* All work Server 5 - Red Hat Linux v5 IP: 10.1.1.6 All servers/PC can ping each other and DVR. Other than Server 1, 2, and 3 all systems can ping PBX. Network settings on all systems & the destination server have been triple checked. If I run the command "arp -a" on the problem servers I can see the MAC for the PBX along with it's IP. Server 2 & 3 have their firewalls turned off. Server 1 was tested with the firewall on and off. All systems resolve PBX via DNS properly. Ping tests were done with the name and IP. This is probably something simple and I'm too close to see, but I'm perplexed. Can anyone give me a hint as to what I need to do to fix this?
August 2nd, 2011 2:26pm

Hi Dennis, Thanks for posting here. So what’s the response when ping PBX form these 3 hosts ? timeout or Destination Unreachable? have you got any problem to ping any other hosts in same subnet but PBX , maybe gateway ? If you can confirm that the network settings or other hardware devices will not cause connectivity issue , I’d suggest you to troubleshoot by capturing ICMP traffic on these problematic hosts in order to effectively narrow down this issue. Especially the MTU size : Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=4865 Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2011 11:20pm

The pings are timing out. I say down and started to ping everything in my DNS list. I discovered that pings time out on some devices - specifically what I would describe as a subset of "dumb" devices, PBX, APC UPSs, APC ATS. I also realized I'm only having this problem from HP DL360 systems with NIC teaming set up. I'm going to open a thread in the HP support forums on this issue. I ran the network monitor. It shows the ICMP ping requests from the server to PBX, but nothing returns. The frame details shows it knows the PBX is a Toshiba.
August 3rd, 2011 12:18pm

Hi Dennis, Thanks for update. You might test by disparting the teaming and use dedicate physical NIC to directly connect with your network and see if this issue persist. Otherwise I’d believe that third party hardware might the root cause of your issue . If any update form HP please also post here and let us know. Including Support for Teaming Network Adapters http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/cc758871(WS.10).aspx Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2011 10:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics