Silent Biztalk Configuration, UI still shows
I am working on automation of build up of BizTalk servers. We understand the use of the Configuration.exe with the /s command line option and have a valid XML configuration file. The problem is that the /s option is not truly silent. It still displays a dialog to show progress and the automation runs under a context which does have access to the UI (Remote Powershell call). Is there a way to get around this (like an alternate version of Configuration.exe that doesn't display a dialog in silent mode)?
May 29th, 2015 11:15am

Well...I'm probably not wrong in starting off by saying you're the only one doing this :)

Even in quick provision environments, sysprep'd images or how the Azure Gallery works, BizTalk is merely installed, not configured.

I have no specific answer other than silent config is not something I would even try.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 1:40pm

Well...I'm probably not wrong in starting off by saying you're the only one doing this :)

Even in quick provision environments, sysprep'd images or how the Azure Gallery works, BizTalk is merely installed, not configured.

I have no specific answer other than silent config is not something I would even try.

May 29th, 2015 5:34pm

See, I'm a little confused at that answer. The existing Configuration.exe app ALREADY supports what they call a silent mode, where you can pass the configuration XML file in as a parameter. The only real issue is that it's not really silent because it still displays progress dialogs. 
June 8th, 2015 11:10am

I totally understand what you're saying.  Yes, Configuration.exe documents support for 'silent' install but as you've found, it doesn't work.

Is that a bug?  Yes, but is the bug that it should be truly silent -or- not called 'silent'. Has the ever been reported? Probably not since I serious when I say you are likely the only persons since 2004 that has even tried this.

Either way, my point is that even if Configuration.exe could run totally silent, I wouldn't even try. It really doesn't get you much.

June 8th, 2015 2:50pm

I totally understand what you're saying.  Yes, Configuration.exe documents support for 'silent' install but as you've found, it doesn't work.

Is that a bug?  Yes, but is the bug that it should be truly silent -or- not called 'silent'. Has this ever been reported? Probably not since I'm serious when I say you are likely the only persons since 2004 that has even tried this.

Either way, my point is that even if Configuration.exe could run totally silent, I wouldn't even try. It really doesn't get you much.

June 8th, 2015 6:47pm

Is that a bug?  Yes, but is the bug that it should be truly silent -or- not called 'silent'. Has this ever been reported? Probably not since I'm serious when I say you are likely the only persons since 2004 that has even tried this.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics