Signing a PDF document with a certificate generated on a Server 2008 Certificate Authority
I have setup Active Directory Certificate Services on a member server and have issued certificates to a few users. I have setup certificates for signing documents. I have successfully signed documents in Word, but have not been able to sign a PDF document in Adobe Acrobat or Reader. I have setup Adobe Reader to use the Windows Certificate Store and still have not had any luck. Has anyone been able to sign a PDF document with a certificate issued from a Windows Certificate Authority? If so, what settings did you use and how did you do it? Thanks in advance. Jeremy Howard
November 14th, 2010 6:23pm

Hi, Does the PDF file allow you to signing? Which step you encounter the issue in when you attempt to signing the PDF document? Home / Using Acrobat 9 Standard / Digital signatures / Signing PDFs http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d48.w.html Third Party Link This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 15th, 2010 3:29am

The PDF does allow signing. We have signed it with a Verisign certificate. Basically, when I click on the "Sign" button in Adobe, Adobe doesn't proceed to the next step of saving the document with another file name. It looks to me as if Adobe is not recognizing the certificate.
November 15th, 2010 9:44am

Just tried to sign the PDF document using CutePDF. Received an invalid signature error. Anyone know what steps need to be taken to see what could be wrong with the certificate?
November 15th, 2010 2:21pm

Hi, Please find the Serial number of the certificate that want to use. Then copy the output of the following command here: "certutil -v -user -store MY <serial#>" Thanks, John
November 15th, 2010 4:38pm

I deleted the certificate and generated a new one. The new one was successfully used to sign a PDF document. Thanks for your willingness to help.
November 15th, 2010 5:12pm

Hi, I am glad the new one worked. Can you comment on the difference between the certificate for future reference, in case anyone else finds this thread? Thanks, John
November 15th, 2010 6:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics