Should telenet service run on Windows server to be telnet-ted?
I am developer rarely interacting from my Windows XP with Windows Servers. In my Windows XP Pro SP3 I have windows service (in services.msc) TlnSrv (Display name: Telnet) with description: *Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped, remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start*. Also, I've read various articles that telnet service is required on host in order to be telnet-ted. In comments to my answer to question "SQL Server 2008 connection", the serverfault.com "activists" squillman and MarkM wrote many times: "telneting into a host does not require a telnet service on the remote host. It requires an open socket, that is all" after which, I was banned in serverfault.com in 2 min without any notification or warning Well, I never used telnet before. Now, I see that telnet service is stopped on my Windows XP, but opening cmd and entering "telnet localhost 1433" open "telnet localhost" window, i.e. telnet session(?), without any error with my local MS SQL Server default instance What are the differences between server and workstation Windows-es in this issue?
August 29th, 2010 8:13am

This link may help. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753164(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2010 5:16pm

Thanks, this may not. Here is better http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpnetwork/thread/75ce986d-ca71-4700-9069-4efdde294bf1 Does Windows Server 200X also have Telnet installed?
August 29th, 2010 5:38pm

For server 2003 the telnet server service is installed and disabled. For server 2008 the telnet server service is not installed. You must add the feature from server manager. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2010 5:54pm

I am more than frequently see the posts in which ppl ask why "telnet sqlserver_machine_name 1433" fails? Really, I am bewildered, I myself have never used telnet for anything having developed webapps for a lot of years Are there any paricular reasons of telnet-tting instead of ping-ing or tracert-ing? And where from are such preferences in using telnet for this?
August 31st, 2010 7:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics