Sharing folders win2k8, accessing from another computer with win7

Greetings,

The Scenario is the following.

I have a win2008 file server and i want to share folders to specific users, so far every attempt i've made failed.

If i create a folder and share it with the group Everyone, it lets me access it from any computer from the network, but if i remove the permission, it cannot be accessed anymore.

I tried to create local users in the server, so when a user tries to open a specific folder it prompts the domain\username / password screen, but it just says "Windows cannot obtain access to -folder-"

This is from a Workgroup perspective, i do not have an Active Directory or a Domain in the Network.

If further details are needed, i will comment below.

Thanks in advance!

January 9th, 2014 5:53pm

Hi, 

Do you mean that you want system ask for user name and password when a user have no permission to access a shared folder? You can using the following settings on Windows server 2008 to achieve this.

Go to Control Panel > Network and sharing center > Change advanced sharing settings > Enable Turn Off password protect sharing option

I hope this helps.

Regards, 

Mandy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2014 11:28am

When i enable that option, i just can't access the shared folder anymore.

Might it be because is not a Win2008 R2?

Thanks in advance.

January 13th, 2014 10:00am

Hi, 

I think Windows Server 2008 also can use the setting. As you mentioned you just can't access the shared folder anymore, is there any error message? I do a test on my machine, please see the result below:

1. If a uses account in the client is same with the local user in the server, the user in the client can open the shared folder directly.

2. If a use in the client doesnt have permission, a credential dialog box will pops-up.

Regards, 

Mandy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 14th, 2014 3:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics