Shares do not stay connected
I have several shares on various Windows Server 2008 & 2003 machines that do not stay connected over time. When I mapped the drive letters to the shares I selected the box "Reconnect at Logon". The machine with the shares and the machine with the drive mappings have not been restarted so I'm confused to as why the connections are being lost.
April 16th, 2009 6:51pm

hi there, is the problem with windows 2008 or windows 2003 ? or both ?please provide us the error code during failure since when is the problem occuirng , is this easily reporducable ?are you able to access the shares using \\serveripaddress ?hoping that you have appropriate user rights to access the shares.are the clients are in same subnet or in different subnet ?does the problem occur during connection or if the connection is idle for some time ?sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2009 8:30pm

The issue on both 2008 and 2003 machines. No error; I just have to provide my credentials to connect. I can access the shares using the fully qualified names. I am in the Domain Admin group and in the machine's admin group. Permission appear to be fine since I can connect and write to the shares. Client machines are on different subnets. The problem occurs after the connection has be idle for some time.
April 16th, 2009 8:40pm

hi there,can you please provide me the output of net config server of windows 2003 ?also would need an ethereal / netmon trace from the server to the client make sure you update a) srv.sys file on the windows server b) mrxsmb.sys and rdbss.sys files on the client end. c) is this isssue occur if the client is on same subnet ?sainath Windows Driver Development
April 19th, 2009 2:02pm

Hi kinny_k, Based on the research, as the open shared folder and mapped network drive is in s SMB session, the default timeout for SMB session is 15 minutes. If the SMB session is inactive for 15 minutes the server will send a TCP reset to close the SMB connection. Until the Autodisconnect timer is reached, the server will send an NBT keep-alive packet every two minutes. If a client or server application is not written to properly handle network delays, it may terminate the session prior to the default timeout period. You can simply run the following command on that file server to disable the autodisconnect feature: net config server /autodisconnect:-1 You can also change the change the default time-out period for the Autodisconnect feature of the Server service. Please open a command prompt, type the following line on that server. net config server /autodisconnect:<number> where <number> is the number of minutes that you want the server to wait before it disconnects a SMB session. For more information, please refer to: Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684 (this article should be also applied to Windows Server 2008) Hope the information will be helpful.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
April 20th, 2009 1:48pm

I am having the same problem. The environment is Windows 2008 running 2 virtual 2008 servers. The client machines are mainly Vista Business with one Mac in the mix. I have tried changing autodisconnect as suggested above.......it made no difference. I changed the setting to 1200 minutes (20 hrs)............again no difference. It would appear that the autodisconnect settings are being ignored. I've spent days doing research on this with no evident solution.
August 23rd, 2009 12:11am

Hello Mike,Did you ever get this problem solved? I am seeing this same problem on my side (windows server2008 running on VMware).Kind regardsBas
December 3rd, 2009 2:41pm

Hi Kinny_K, Have you tried David Shen's suggestion and did it worked? You may also want to check your network adapter settings. If your switch(s) is 10/100, then check your servers/workstations are set to 10/100 and not autonegotiate. Autonegotiate works but sometimes it's unreliable depending on the adapter. Thanks, jav
December 3rd, 2009 5:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics