Sharepoint Foundation & Search

I have a pretty big issue.  I read the documentation for SharePoint Foundation up and down.  I also read the boundaries for what is supposed to applied to SPF 2013 as well.

hxxp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx#Search

It states that it can have 100 mil. indexed items.  Now I'm getting a warning that states:

The number of crawled items is close to the allowed limit for SharePoint Foundation which is 2 million items. Once you reach the limit, all running crawls will be stopped and scheduled crawls will not run.

What gives?   We didn't have this issue is 2010 foundation.

Larry

June 19th, 2013 1:40am

How many index partitions do you have? This documentation states that you can have up to 10 million crawled items per index partition:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2013 4:10am

I have 1 index partition.

June 19th, 2013 7:40pm

You probably should have at least two for redundancy and performance. That would give you another 10 million items to crawl too. It's possible that the warning you got (which stated a limit of 2 million items) is not correct.
June 20th, 2013 2:37am

I will try that and see.  I will also have it go over the 2 mil. mark and see if it does just go kaput.

I'll report back as well.

Thanks,

Larry B.

June 21st, 2013 12:10am

I added some other extensions to crawl and that took my search well over 2 millions items. 

As the warning stated, search no longer crawls.  This is pretty bad considering that the limitation is not documented anywhere.   

The error now states the following:

Sorry, something went wrong

Crawls are not allowed because the number if crawled items exceeds the limit for SharePoint Foundation.

Really crappy! If this would of been properly documented somewhere we would of not made the decision to move to 2013 in the first place.

Larry B.

June 25th, 2013 6:09pm

Can't add additional index partitions to search in foundation 2013. 

New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent : Access to this functionality requires a SharePoint Server Client Access License.

Larry

June 25th, 2013 6:41pm

Can't add additional index partitions to search in foundation 2013. 

New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent : Access to this functionality requires a SharePoint Server Client Access License.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Have you been able to get an answer on this as we have run ito the same issue. Documentation states 10 million items, but reality is on 2 million in Foundation.

July 2nd, 2013 2:40pm

I have not.   I submitted the question to the MS SharePoint people and couldn't get an answer as of yet.

I did go past the 2 Mil mark and it did stop crawling.   The event view now has the error stating:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Server Search

Date:          7/2/2013 6:08:19 AM

Event ID:      2634

Task Category: Administration

Level:         Error

Keywords:     

User:          MYACCT

Computer:      MYSPSRVR

Description:

All running crawls have been stopped and scheduled crawls will not run because you have reached the crawlable item limit for SharePoint Foundation (2 million items). To get out of this you can either delete content sources or start addresses to reduce the number of items crawled or upgrade your deployment.

Larry

July 11th, 2013 11:11pm

Thanks Larry

We reverted back to Sharepoint 2010, as we ran into the same thing.

This seems to be a limitation with SP2013 Foundation.

Hopefully Microsoft will change that soon.

Jan

July 12th, 2013 3:31am

Has anyone tried the following?

Recommended configuration for crawling large hosts

When defining content sources to crawl in SharePoint Search, the maximum number of threads that can simultaneously make requests to a host is set to 12 by default OOB. This value affects the rate of content discovery from the host. For all small and medium sized hosts (<10M), this thread count is sufficient. But if the target host is >10M, we recommend you increase the thread count.

Workaround    For large hosts (>10M items), we recommend you set the number of threads to 32 or more. This is over-and-above the recommendation to have dedicated crawl targets that helps manage load on front ends efficiently without impacting performance observed by users of that host.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/sharepoint-foundation-2013-known-issues-HA102919008.aspx

August 22nd, 2013 5:28pm

I've got the same problem, even worse as SP thinks the limit is reached even though I am still under 2 mio (see this thread).

This new limitation of 2 mio per index partition and not being able to create additional partitions in SharePoint Foundation 2013 makes Foundation 2013 virtually unusable... Microsoft, why did you introduce such a limit in 2013?

I should never have upgraded :(

Is there no way to create an additional index partition in Foundation?

I should have never upgraded...
July 7th, 2015 5:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics