Sharepoint 2013 search and Term store management

Hi,

Certain pages were hidden in our term store navigation. If the pages are not hidden, they are searchable and if hidden, they do not show in the search result.

However, at later stages, we created new test pages but did not hide them from term store at first to make sure crawling works but later when we hid those pages, they still showed in the search results (after a second crawling). It seems that it is inconsistent.

Is there any bug or limitation ? Could you let us know how exactly term store works in terms of search ?

Also, as a second question, we noticed SEO prorties from the edit page becomes unavailable (not editable) once the page is related to term store. What's the reason behind this ?

April 20th, 2015 10:14am

Hi Berzan,

What did you mean of the hidden pages in term store navigation? How did you hide the pages?

Per my knowledge, when some users do not have permission to view the page, then the users cannot view the term in the navigation menu and they cannot get the page in search results either.

I recommend to check if those users have permission on the pages which they cannot get in search results.

For the second question, only publishing pages support SEO properties, please make sure that the pages are publishing pages and not wiki pages or web part pages.

From your description the page is related to term store, did you mean of setting the target page for a term?

If yes, then the SEO properties of the page was still editable in my test.

I recommend to check if the issue occurs with other publishing pages.

Best regards,

Victoria

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2015 4:49am

Thanks for the reply Victoria,
While saying hiding the page, I refer to hiding the page from navigation through term store. There are two options under Navigation :

• Show in Global Navigation Menu
  • Show in Current Navigation Menu

Also, in terms of permission, that happens when the user have permission to set-up the whole term store navigation but certain pages do not show in the search results, it is inconsistent. Any trick behind this or is there any specific area to be aware of ?

About SEO, after creating a page, SEO properties is still available (before the page is added to the term store) and it was previously tested and published in UAT environment but SEO still ghosted.

Any help much appreciated.

• Edited by BerzanBalin 22 hours 19 minutes ago clean up unneccassary html codes
  • Marked as answer by BerzanBalin 22 hours 18 minutes ago
  • Unmarked as answer by BerzanBalin 22 hours 18 minutes ago
April 22nd, 2015 5:00am

While saying hiding the page, I refer to hiding the page from navigation through term store. There are two options under Navigation :

Also, in terms of permission, that happens when the user have permission to set-up the whole term store navigation but certain pages do not show in the search results, it is inconsistent. Any trick behind this or is there any specific area to be aware of ?

About SEO, after creating a page, SEO properties is still available (before the page is added to the term store) and it was previously tested and published in UAT environment but SEO still ghosted.

• Edited by BerzanBalin Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:01 AM clean up unneccassary html codes
  • Marked as answer by BerzanBalin Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Unmarked as answer by BerzanBalin Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:02 AM
April 22nd, 2015 9:00am

• Edited by BerzanBalin Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:01 AM clean up unneccassary html codes
  • Marked as answer by BerzanBalin Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Unmarked as answer by BerzanBalin Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:02 AM
April 22nd, 2015 9:00am

Hi Berzan,

I tested the same scenario per your post in my environment, however the pages which were set hidden in navigation could be searched.

I recommend to check crawl log in Search service application to see if the page has been crawled and check the permission of the users on the page itself.

After setting the page as the target page for a term and publishing the page, then we can set the SEO properties for the page when accessing the page through the friendly URL instead of the real URL.

For example, I have a page called page1 in Pages library, and it is set as the target page for term called term1.

When accessing the page through http://server/Pages/page1.aspx, then SEO property is greyed out.

When accessing the page through http://server/term1, then SEO property can be edited.

Best regards,

Victoria

April 22nd, 2015 9:51pm

Yes that's fantastic, I didn't realize I would have to go through friendly url once it is attached to term store to edit SEO. For the crawling stuff, it looks like I will have to do some testing and let you know.

You have been great. Thank you very much for your help so far

April 23rd, 2015 6:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics