Sharepoint 2013 Managed Properties in Search Template
I have a Sharepoint 2013 search display template working nicely. I wanted to add a new managed property mapping to the template which is of type "hyperlink or picture". This content type stores both a URL and description. It returns a comma separated value of link and description (ie. http://www.yahoo.com, my description). Not sure how to grab the link and description individually using $getItemValue from within the template? Any pointers or examples would be much appreciated!
June 3rd, 2013 4:52am

Hi,

Use javascript :)

var link = $getItemValue(ctx, "Link");
var pair = link.split(',');
var url = pair[0];
var desc = pair[1];

Thanks,
Mikael Svenson

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2013 8:53pm

Thanks. I was looking too deep for a sharepoint solution, forgot about the obvious.
June 3rd, 2013 10:09pm

I am having a similar issue and this code does not solve it.

I am pulling in a URL field with Description like above ("Yahoo.com, My Description"), but the Description portion of the field does not get pulled.

I reference the URL field in my managed property mapping, and then get the item value as follows;

var line1 = $getItemValue(ctx, "Line 1");

but when I attempt to split it, it errors and says split cannot be used on the object.  This makes sense since it is creating an object, not a string with getItemValue.

If I console.log the object (line1), it only shows the URL, no description.  So it would appear as if during getItemValue it only grabs the URL portion.

If I run the code

var pair = line1.toString().split(',');

then it lets me convert to a string and split it, but since the string didn't appear to have a ", My Description" the second variable is left undefined.

Any idea why it doesn't seem to pull in both the URL and Description for me?

June 21st, 2013 9:41pm

Hi,

I think it might be a Uri prototype object. Try:

line1.get_uri() and line1.get_name() or line1.get_title()

You can always attach a javascript debugger (eg. IE devl toolbar) and examine the object and the methods it provide to find the exact method.

Thanks,
Mikael Svenson

June 21st, 2013 11:54pm

I am having a similar issue and this code does not solve it.

I am pulling in a URL field with Description like above ("Yahoo.com, My Description"), but the Description portion of the field does not get pulled.

I reference the URL field in my managed property mapping, and then get the item value as follows;

var line1 = $getItemValue(ctx, "Line 1");

but when I attempt to split it, it errors and says split cannot be used on the object.  This makes sense since it is creating an object, not a string with getItemValue.

If I console.log the object (line1), it only shows the URL, no description.  So it would appear as if during getItemValue it only grabs the URL portion.

If I run the code

var pair = line1.toString().split(',');

then it lets me convert to a string and split it, but since the string didn't appear to have a ", My Description" the second variable is left undefined.

Any idea why it doesn't seem to pull in both the URL and Description for me?

Hey,

Pair is an array :) cause return value of split is an array

you have to say

if line 1 is ("Yahoo.com, My Description")

var _marray = line1.split(',');

even better check for null!!

if(_marray && _marray.lenght>0){

var ret_one=line1.split(',')[0];

var ret_two=line1.split(',')[1];

}

June 26th, 2013 12:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics