Shared folder connection limit on Windows 2003 server
I wanted to know that if i have shared a folder on windows 2003 Server and folder has been set user limit to maximum. Then in this case how many users(clients of that domain) can connect to that folder same time? What is the user limit in this case. Ofcourse it will never be unlimited ! It would also be helpful if some light could be thrown on server cals.And let us say there is single user, can this user connect in parallel multiple times, If yes,whatisthe upper limit of these parallel conenctions?
July 7th, 2009 9:58am

When sharing Folder in Windows 2003 the default settings for connection is Unlimited.Your connection Limit Depends only of how many CALs you are added to your license.Example:If you have Windows 2003 Server and 25 Per User or Per Device CALs you have a limit of 25 users or devices connected to your Share Drive.Whenthe 26 user is trying to connect to that Share it will be rejected.You will recieve an event log Warning at your Server>Aplication (i think)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2009 10:14am

Hi martin, so you mean to say that i have a shared folder configured and only 10 people can connect to the share ?, i dont think SMB protocol has a limitations of shared folder connectivity. And want to know how does CAL help to increase the shared folder connections. sainath !analyze
July 7th, 2009 12:17pm

Hello, Based on the research, the configuration of share folders is stored in the following registry key on the file server: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares To detect the maximum user connection number, we can open the subkey which names as the share folders name in that node. Technically speaking, we may find the value of MaxUses, which shows the maximum number that users can connect to. However, the actual user's upper limit of the concurrent connection number depends on the CAL number that you have. Hope this can be helpful. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 7th, 2009 1:34pm

Hi david. thanks for the infosainath !analyze
July 7th, 2009 2:04pm

I mean that the Default Settigns are Unlimited,You can limit connections if you wish to any number between 1 and FFFFFFFF but must have legal CALs for that connection :)
July 7th, 2009 2:44pm

Thanks a lot Martin, Sainath and David. The information you guys provided is really helpful and I will be able to strike the problem better now.
July 7th, 2009 3:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics