Shared Folder Permissions
I'm having some trouble with shared folder permissions in Windows Server 2003. Here is my structure: Root Folder ---GroupFolder1 ---GroupFolder2 ---GroupFolder3 On each Group Folder I have a usergroup with the following permissions: Shared permissions: Change NTFS permissions: Modify In my login sript the server maps the usergroup to \\Root Folder\GroupFolder1 (or whatever folder the user belongs to) The mapping works without any problems, and the user can access their files. However when I try to delete a file I receive an Access Denied error. Any ideas on what I can try? Thank you.
May 13th, 2010 5:33am

Edit the NTFS permission to allow the "Delete" rights? This can be accessed from "Advanced" button on the security tab - advanced security options will open up after you select the relevant user group and then choose change permissions, from here you should see a load more 'granular' permissions including "Delete" and "Delete subfolders and files" permissions. HTH C.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2010 10:27am

I granted the Delete and Delete subfolders and files, but unfortunately the user still cannot delete files. Additionally I granted Full control (both share and NTFS) to test, and still no dice. Just thinking here.. do I need any permissions on the top level Root folder? Currently it's just the standard permissions (Administrators, SYSTEM, etc.). However there are no permissions for "Everyone" on this folder.
May 13th, 2010 4:38pm

Okay I figured it out, and I feel incredibly stupid. The shared folder is \\Servername\Root Folder\GroupFolder1 The share is \\Servername\GroupFolder1 The user has no permissions to the Root Folder. The user has modify permissions to the GroupFolder1. When logged in as the user, I was accessing the share with the UNC path. Since the user has no rights to the Root Folder, they weren't able to write to GroupFolder1. I tried again as the user, this time accessing the share with the share name. This works without any problems. While I'm glad this part is resolved, it does bring me to another question. When the user goes to the \\Servername\GroupFolder1 everything works correctly now. However if the user goes up a directory they can see all the other shared folders. While they have no access, is there a way to hide them other than appending the "$" to the share name?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2010 5:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics