Shared Fax Console Permissions
We are using Windows Server 2003's shared fax printer. Users in the administrators group can double click on the shared fax printer in Control Panel->Printers and Faxes (Fax Console) and view all the incoming and outgoing faxes.Users not in the administrators group can open the fax console but they see no faxes. They can send faxes just not view them. I went to the security tab for the fax printer on the server and made sure everyone had the same permissions as the admins but that didn't work. (I even tried changing the ownership when I ran out of other ideas, but no; that didn't work either)Where are the rest of the permissions hiding?Thanks,Tommy
December 17th, 2009 10:19pm

I remember having a very similar (probably exactly the same) problem when I setup fax services not long ago. The permissions are really well hidden... I think you have to go to the Fax Services Console or something (the place where it shows you a tree view on the left with the server at the top and you can stop and start the fax services from there) and right click on the server and go to properties, then its in one of the tabs in there. That probably doesnt help much... but I'll be able to access the server tomorrow so I will check for you if you have not already found it by thenMy blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 17th, 2009 11:21pm

The permissions I already found are the ones you see when you right-click the fax printer and hit 'properties.' They look like they should be the right ones but they don't change anything. If the permissions you mentioned exist elsewhere and work, I will be greatful. I have been working on this longer than I'd like to admit.I also tried adding the users to the Fax Management and Print Management security groups. Only adding the user to the Domain Admins group works. (Naturally, this is not a viable solution)Tommy
December 17th, 2009 11:39pm

Yeah they are not the same permissions I am talking about. I'll dig out the exact location tomorrow but you might be able to find it from my fairly poor description in the last post :)My blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com
December 18th, 2009 12:12am

Aha! I found what you were talking about. For reference:Go to Fax Console on the server (Printers and Faxes->Fax->Open)Click Tools->Fax Service Manager(Or just open the Server Management console)Right click Fax(Local)Go to security tab (Note this is not the same as the fax printer security tab)The permissions are there. I recommend adding the Fax Operators group with Manage Documents permissions and adding users to that group who should be able to see (and manage) the faxes. Tommy
December 18th, 2009 12:18am

Ah glad you found it - have you tested it and confirmed that solved the problem? :)My blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com
December 18th, 2009 12:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics