Shared DataSets not visible in Report Builder 3.0

I've imported a bunch of rsd files into a DataSet folder within Report Manager as well as a bunch of rdl files into folders within Report Manager. I also have a shared datasource created using the same name that was used for the datasets. If I edit the DataSet in Report Builder, I see the syntax. I can also run the query in Report Builder and see the data so it all works.

If I edit one of these reports, then click on datasource, switch to my datasource (as it's still referencing the original), test connection works.  The datasets that are setup as shared show "Unknown Shared Dataset."  If I create a NEW report then add a dataset, there are none listed.

I'm using SQL 2012, SP 2, Report Builder 3.0. 

May 28th, 2015 5:38pm

Hi meluvsql,

According to your description, the report is using a shared dataset. The shared dataset can return data. But when you edit the report in Report Builder, then data source connection is successful, but the shared dataset doesnt work, right?

In your scenario, you should go to the Shared Datasets page of this report on report manager, then you will find the dataset path in report manager. Please make sure it points to the correct shared dataset.

Or you could find the shared dataset in report manager, then go to the Depend Items page, check if the dependent report exists.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 6:34am

Brilliant thank you.  Repointed them all.  When I open the report now in RB, there is a dataset listed, however, its the original designer's test IP (Http://10.10.10.....) and not my local server.  It's trying to connect but just hangs. I don't see anywhere in Report Manager to change the dataset's server.

When I run the report I get this error: " The report server cannot process the report or shared dataset. The shared data source '5a6e39f8-5d04-4c15-bcab-720d06db89a2' for the report server or SharePoint site is not valid. Browse to the server or site and select a shared data source. (rsInvalidDataSourceReference)."

When I browse in Report Builder I only see the one dataset referencing the old server.  Is there a way to change the path of each dataset?

May 29th, 2015 10:53am

When I create a brand new report and choose my datasource, it is still not seeing any of the datasets that I configured for one report.  Does that mean those datasets can only be used for that single report and not any?  When I click on the datasource in RM, then dependent items, I do see them all listed.  Not sure why I still don't see them in RB for a new report.

I created a brand new dataset using RB then saving it to my dataset folders in RM.  When I close RB then reopen to create a new test report, I choose my datasource, then when I add a dataset, there is still nothing listed.   I'm missing something huge here that I cannot seem to figure out. 

• Edited by meluvsql 15 hours 42 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 11:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics