Share access question
I just migrated from win2k3 server to win2k8. I am having trouble accessing shares on the server from other computers on the network. I have set folder and share permissions correctly, but whenever I try to connect I get the following error: "Login failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". I never had this issue on win2k3 server. I have confirmed the local policy settings are correct.I am able to login using computername\username but not using the username alone. This is important because some of my clients cannot pass the computername. I have read that this has something to do with remote vs. interactive login, but I don't know how to change the security settings so that remote login works. I should note that this server is running in a home environment with no active directory or domain. It is just running on a workgroup.Thanks and regards,Stephen
April 29th, 2008 9:33pm

Hi Stephen, 1. Did the system popup the error message when the clients attempt to access the file share with UNC path or just remote logon the file server with local credential on the problematic computer? 2. Did you configure the proper permission for all the clients on the new Windows 2008 fileserver? 3. Which kind of client did you use to access the file share, Windows XP or Windows Vista? Based on the experience, this issue may be related to the User Rights Assignment security settings of the local policy. Here are some steps to adjust the security settings on the problematic Windows 2008 server. Please just follow it and check if the issue will re-occur. 1. Please log on the Windows 2008 problematic computer. Click Start and choose Run. 2. Type "gpedit.msc" and click OK. 3. In the "Group Policy" window, double click on "Windows Settings" under "Computer Configuration". 4. Double click on "Security Settings". 5. Double click on "Local Policies" and choose "User Rights Assignment". 6. In the right panel, double click on the "Access this computer from the network" policy. The default setting for the "Access this computer from the network" policy is to allow the following: Administrators, Power Users, Users, Backup Operators, and the Everyone group. All should have checked check boxes. 7. In the right panel, double click on the "Deny access to this computer from the network" policy. The default setting for the "Deny access to this computer from the network" policy is blank. No one should be listed in this policy. Also clear the items in "Deny Logon Locally" entry. 8. Please ensure that all the groups are listed to allow access and that no one is listed in the deny policy. You may also downloaded & installed the Windows Resource Kit Tool from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544 And then try running the following command line on the Windows Server 2008 problematic computer. net user guest /active:yes ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2008 2:19pm

Hi David,First answers to your questions:1. The logon is from an SMB client and the connection notation is as follows: smb://usernameassword@computername/share2. I am not sure what you mean when you say configure permission for the clients. Please clarify for me.3. As I said before, I cannot connect using the smb client as explained in 1. The message I referred to was seen when connecting from an XP machine.As far as the User Rights Assignment policy settings, I had tried this prior to posting here and even went as far to explicitly add the user in question to the allow access policy. I have also tried to access the share using the administrator login to no avail.Finally, I'm not sure why enabling the guest account would solve my problem especially since it comes enabled by default with local logon rights disabled.Thanks for your help so far!Regards,Stephen
April 30th, 2008 8:42pm

Hi Stephen, Based on the research, we cannot reproduce the same issue. Please follow the steps to check if the issue will re-occur. Please run the "net use" command with "username" on the problematic Windows XP client Ex. "net use \\computername\sharename /user: username password" Note: please just use the credential that exists on the Windows Server 2008 fileserver to test. Also, please ensure that the user should have the permissions to access the file share. Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2008 1:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics