Share access problems using not-fully qualified domain name
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. This machine is member in a domain with win2003 server DCs. I can succesfully browse network shares of almost all machines but one. If I access this way: \\myserver\share it does not work. If I this way: \\myserver.mydomain.com\share it DOES work. Pinging domain name works with both versions of DNS addresses. How can I debug this situation ? Thanks.
June 14th, 2010 6:34pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. I am wondering if other machines can access to the problematic server via the NetBIOS name. In this case, please temporarily disable Windows Firewall to check if this issue will occur. If so, we can identify it is caused by the inappropriate Windows Firewall settings. Meanwhile, please collect the MPSReport on the problematic server. 1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below. Microsoft Product Support Reports http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Internet and Networking”, “Business Networks”, click Next. 3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Please send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 Networking forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the Network Infrastructure Servers Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the Network Infrastructure Servers Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the Network Infrastructure Servers Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com. Thanks, Miles
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 15th, 2010 10:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics