SharePoint search results - Duplicates

Hi,

I have lot of document with almost the same name but with different version numbers to the end. I see that the search is not returning all documents...

Ex:

Training   Booklet - FMS Financial   Management - Delegates Guide - Version 3.0

Training   Booklet - FMS Financial   Management - Delegates Guide - Version 4.0

Public   Interface Documentation Release 58

Public   Interface Documentation Release 52

Public   Interface Documentation Release 55

Public   Interface Documentation Release 56

Public   Interface Documentation Attendance   Release 58

Public   Interface Documentation Attendance   Release 52

Public   Interface Documentation Attendance   Release 55

Public   Interface Documentation Attendance   Release 56

For the training booklet docssearch returns only version 4.0 document and not version 3.0 file.

Is this considered as duplicate that SharePoint eliminates from the search results or character limit on title column?

I followed the steps as mentioned in the below link and change trim duplicates to false. This works when I add the search webpart but I want this change to reflect on the default search results page - osssearchresults.aspx page.

Can anyone help please?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/3982c56e-7c22-4f25-bffa-43d313c64d52/how-disable-trimduplicates-in-the-search-result-webpart-under-sharepoint-2013?forum=sharepointsearch

Regards,

DJ

August 20th, 2015 12:38pm

Hi Rookio,

Per my knowledge,  we can't change "TrimDuplicates" to false in osssearchresults.aspx page.

I suggest you change the default "osssearchresults.aspx" search result page with a custom search result page.

Then you can change "TrimDuplicates" to false in custom search results page.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 11:03pm

Thanks Lisa for your response.

I do not see 'SearchResults' webpart in my webparts page on my live environment (snapshot below). However I can see this on the dev SP site. Can you please guide me on how can I add the missing webpart?

Regards,

Rookio

August 24th, 2015 7:14am

Hi,

To display the 'SearchResults' web part in Web Part Gallery:

Navigate to Web Part Gallery->add a new web part-> choose 'SearchResults' web part and click Populate Gallery.

Then the SearchResults.dwp is displayed in the Web Part Gallery, but you can't change "TrimDuplicates" in the SearchResults.dwp.

As I have suggested that change the default "osssearchresults.aspx" search result page with a custom search result page and change "TrimDuplicates" to false in custom search results page.

To create a custom search results page:

1. Add a standard search result web part to a page->Export the search result web part and save it on disk->Change to: "TrimDuplicates":false->Save the file and rename it as search result1, then upload it as a new web part in web part gallery.
  2. Add a search result page in pages library->Delete the default search result web part->Add a new search result1 web part->Save the page.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 4:28am

Take a look at my post How to do a light weight search center using osssearchresults.aspx (part 2/3) and use the same pattern to modify the duplicate trimming on that page. You might have to add code to re-execute the query after your change due to results coming with the page synchronously.

Perhaps I'll target your scenario in a future post :)

September 2nd, 2015 4:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics