SharePoint Search returns less results as expected

In Document library, I added a managed metadata column named Brand, which contains Apple 01, BlackBerry 01 and Samsung 01 terms. There are  5 items in Apple 01, 6 in BlackBerry 01and 4 in Samsung 01. They are document as well as pdf files. 

When I use restricted property, it is strange that for Apple, it returns 5 items but 5 for BlackBerry and 3 for Samsung. That means that BlackBerry and Samsung all lacks of results. This is my search query:

Brand:"Apple 01"

Brand:"BlackBerry 01"

Brand:"Samsung 01"

What I have done:

+ go to Document and published those missing documents from search result => has published

+ check Query on Search Results Web Part to ensure that search results are not excluded somehow. => nothing has been customied, it is as default webpart

+ Check crawl log: => those items are crawled successfully

Any advices, please

July 26th, 2015 4:33pm

I suspect this has to do with the fact that SharePoint Search filters out duplicate results by default.  So if in testing you used the same documents multiple times and just attached different metadata tags to them then you may be seeing the results filtered down to just the unique combinations of the documents and tags.  I can't guarantee that is what is happening but that has normally been what I've tracked it down to when I've had similar inconsistencies.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 26th, 2015 4:45pm

@Paul: With BlackBerry 01 terms, 5 items are excel files and one is pdf file. The missing file is pdf file. Btw, when I only enter "BlackBerry 01" search terms, the result is correct - 6 items are found.

Do you have any more clues in this situation? Thanks.

July 26th, 2015 4:55pm

@Paul: With BlackBerry 01 terms, 5 items are excel files and one is pdf file. The missing file is pdf file. Btw, when I only enter "BlackBerry 01" search terms, the result is correct - 6 items are found.

• Edited by hoanvd1210 Sunday, July 26, 2015 8:53 PM
July 26th, 2015 8:53pm

Is the PDF by any chance a PDF of one of the 5 excel files?  I've seen that marked as a duplicate also.  Not sure what else to suggest.
July 27th, 2015 7:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics