SharePoint Search Host Controller does not start

Hello community,

I have a farm with 2 mermber servers (SPsvr1 and SPsvr2). On SPsvr1 the "SharePoint Search Host Controller" is running normally, but it is not running on SPsrv2. When I try to start it I receive the following error:

The error logs that appear in the event viewer are the following:

Event ID: 1026

Application: hostcontrollerservice.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
Stack:
   at Microsoft.Ceres.HostController.Service.ServiceRunner.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.Ceres.HostController.Service.ServiceRunner.HostControllerStarter()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Event ID 1000:

Faulting application name: hostcontrollerservice.exe, version: 15.0.4445.1000, time stamp: 0x507d4898
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b8479b
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000009e5d
Faulting process id: 0xbe0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cef2c84fe4bf6a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Search\HostController\hostcontrollerservice.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8e3cae25-5ebb-11e3-be43-005056b846a6

Event ID 8230:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account administrator with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key. 

Operation:
   Initializing Writer

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {0ff1ce15-0201-0000-0000-000000000000}
   Writer Name: OSearch15 VSS Writer
   Writer Instance Name: OSearch15 Replication Service

Error-specific details:
   Error: NetLocalGroupGetMemebers(administrator), 0x80070560, The specified local group does not exist.

Event ID 1001:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: hostcontrollerservice.exe
P2: 15.0.4445.1000
P3: 507d4898
P4: mscorlib
P5: 4.0.30319.19080
P6: 5173c40a
P7: 2111
P8: c
P9: A4DH5WWIWWW1YJTMP0C0KV4ZWCALU4IN
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_hostcontrollerse_526422f0634119d13c741d5cf523ecf8276848_1c902fb4

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 23922cd9-5ebc-11e3-be43-005056b846a6
Report Status: 0

I have been looking for a solution for almost 3 weeks, and I found that in the SPsvr1 exist a directory that does not exist on SPsvr2. The directory is: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data\Office Server\Applications\Search". I copied that directory from SPsvr1 to SPsvr2 but it did not make any change, the errors continue being the same.

I cannot configure a search service application because that service does not start on the SPsvr2 s

December 7th, 2013 12:28am

try to add the Search Services account into local admin on the bad server and then reboot it and try again.

also make sure the settings in the registry as mentioned here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=20850

December 7th, 2013 12:38am

try to add the Search Services account into local admin on the bad server and then reboot it and try again.

also make sure the settings in the registry as mentioned here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=20850

December 7th, 2013 12:45am

did you reboot?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 7th, 2013 12:47am

did y
December 7th, 2013 5:53pm

Hi Melvintt,

According to your description, my understanding is that you got an error when you started SharePoint Search Host Controller.

I got a similar error with you when I started the service. I clicked the service properties, selected Log on tab, then selected This account, re-typed the service account (note: I have changed the password ), then I could start the service. Please check your service account.

Also , here are some similar posts for you to take a look at:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/saantil/archive/2013/10/03/search-host-controller-service-and-content-processing-service-on-sharepoint-server-is-down-sharepoint-2013.aspx
http://msscorner.de/en/2012/11/14/search-host-controller-hung-on-starting-in-sharepoint-2013/

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

December 9th, 2013 10:27am

Hi Melvintt,

According to your description, my understanding is that you got an error when you started SharePoint Search Host Controller.

I got a similar error with you when I started the service. I clicked the service properties, selected Log on tab, then selected This account, re-typed the service account (note: I have changed the password ), then I could start the service. Please check your service account.

Also , here are some similar posts for you to take a look at:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/saantil/archive/2013/10/03/search-host-controller-service-and-content-processing-service-on-sharepoint-server-is-down-sharepoint-2013.aspx
http://msscorner.de/en/2012/11/14/search-host-controller-hung-on-starting-in-sharepoint-2013/

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

December 10th, 2013 7:18pm

did you try to find this way Unprovisioning

1 2 3 4 $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like Unprovisioning} $SA.Unprovision()   $SA.Provision()

December 10th, 2013 7:22pm

also try from Central admin, start the Services from the services on server.

if it stuck at starting, then try this:

http://blog.mwiedemeyer.de/post/2012/10/11/Search-Host-Controller-Service-in-Starting-state

December 10th, 2013 7:28pm

did you try to find this way Unprovisioning

1 2 3 4 $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like Unprovisioning} $SA.Unprovision()   $SA.Provision()

December 10th, 2013 7:42pm

could you please check if Usage Application Proxy is running if not

$UP = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.TypeName -like "Usage*"}
$UP.Provision()

December 10th, 2013 10:03pm

Hi Melvintt,

i had the same issue (On Sharepoint 2013 foundation).

I made sure that the below 2 services are up and running in your case, if they are running i would suggest you to restart the below services and then try starting the "SharePoint Search Host Controller"

Net.Tcp Listener Adapter
Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service

Thanks,
Satyam

December 10th, 2013 10:40pm

could you please check if Usage Application Proxy is running if not

$UP = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.TypeName -like "Usage*"}
$UP.Provision()		
December 10th, 2013 11:03pm

Hi Melvintt,

i had the same issue (On Sharepoint 2013 foundation).

I made sure that the below 2 services are up and running in your case, if they are running i would suggest you to restart the below services and then try starting the "SharePoint Search Host Controller"

Net.Tcp Listener Adapter
Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service

Thanks,
Satyam

Hello Satyman,

I restarted both services you mentioned and then restarted the Sharepoint Search Host controller, but nothing happened. I still do not see the topology.

December 10th, 2013 11:05pm

Hi Melvintt,

just asking... the account which we are using is a domain account right ..?
When we restarted the server, the status of the service, was it stopped or stopping ..?
Did we use the powershell script to create the service application?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

When did we receive the  Error message which you placed (which  is as below)

Event ID 8230:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account administrator with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thanks,
Satyam

December 10th, 2013 11:55pm

Hi Melvintt,

just asking... the account which we are using is a domain account right ..?
When we restarted the server, the status of the service, was it stopped or stopping ..?
Did we use the powershell script to create the service application?

When did we receive the  Error message which you placed (which  is as below)

Event ID 8230:

Thanks,
Satyam

Hi Satyman,

Yes, the account is a domain account. When I restarted the server the status of the service was Stopped, but after I did the solution Waqas Sarwar told me now the status is Started. I did not use PowerShell to create the Search Service Application, I instead used Central Admin.

We received the error with Event ID 8230 when the service couldn't start, but now that the service is running that error is not present.

December 11th, 2013 12:27am

check this one :http://blogs.technet.com/b/steve_chen/archive/2013/05/23/3574385.aspx
December 11th, 2013 1:07am

Hi Melvintt,

According to your description, my understanding is that there was not the search application topology on any your Sharepoint server.

There are many reasons for this issue. Please try to repair SharePoint under Control Panel, compare the result.

Whether you have a dedicated search server for your SharePoint. If yes, please check its connections to DC server and SharePoint server.

Here are some similar posts for you to take a look at:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/424f3f43-aab7-4efd-8b0e-5bc28bd27e66/unable-to-retrieve-topology-component-health-states?forum=sharepointsearch
http://aseempandit.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/unable-to-retrieve-the-search-application-topology/
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/539cada1-181b-4af7-9e2a-4d6f9b1700c8/search-topology-not-displayed?forum=sharepointsearch

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

December 27th, 2013 8:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics