SharePoint Foundation which is installed during TFS 2013 installation has no search capability

I installed a Team Foundation Server 2013 . I opted to install SharePoint Foundation 2013 during the TFS installation on the same application server. The installation went well and everything looked fine. TFS was running and the SharePoint teamsites were also purring like a kitten.

But then I tried to do a search from the default team site which was created for me. I got the following message:Your search cannot be completed because no Search service is available. Contact your administrator for more information.

I clicked New and nothing nothing happened. No dropdown.

Then I remembered that in order to get your Search Service Application provisioned you have to create it using the configuration wizard in Central Administration.

I started the wizard and when I got to the page where I needed to select the services I want, I saw only 1 service. The Usage and Health Data Collection service.

Anyway i found out that If you choose to install SharePoint through TFS, we will only configure services that you would need to use for TFS-supported integration features.  We do this to conserve resources.  Search does not fall into this category, and moreover is one of the largest consumers of memory in SharePoint, so it is not advised to turn it on if you are running SharePoint and TFS on the same box

Someone can help me maybe and advice what should i do to install the search service? (i don't want to install all things from start and i am not able to do that cause the developers working on the tfs2013 all day.

Eliran

April 30th, 2015 8:37am

so, as you found, SharePoint's search (especially with SP2013) can be rather resource intensive... previous versions were much smaller in scope, but the SP2013 release includes what used to be the SharePoint 2010 FAST Search... and the FAST search engine REPLACED all other search engines in SP2013, and as a result is included in the FOUNDATION edition.

Generally speaking, the search "service" includes several components, for crawling content, indexing, and more... each of these components are somewhat resource intensive (see http://www.sbrickey.com/Tech/Blog/Post/On_the_effects_of_memory_limiting_noderunner_exe , and be aware that each component can add a few hundred MB of RAM usage).

Additionally, the search index can be DISK intensive (MS recommends at least 500GB for most SharePoint intranet environments).

Finally, the indexing process will of course be somewhat CPU intensive.

So, it is quite understandable that search would be disabled by default, especially if you've got a SINGLE SharePoint server.

Most SharePoint environments that utilize search, have separate servers to provide such processing, without impacting the performance of users that are viewing content via a browser request. This is especially true when you look at SharePoint's Streamlined Topology approach.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2015 12:05pm

Thanks for you replay,

can you maybe explain me what should i do now to make the search to work?

the TFS2013 AND SP2013 sitting on the same server..

what is my options to make it works?

Eliran

May 3rd, 2015 4:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics