SharePoint Foundation 2010 SQL Express migrate to SQL Server

Hi,

Like many of you, we have deployed FIM Portals' SharePoint Foundation 2010 on the local SQL Express version (as deployed by the SharePoint pre-requisite installer). FIM Portal & Service was then deployed on the same server.

We have now had a request to move this SharePoint Foundation 2010 SQL Express database to a full SQL Server (running on a remote server).

So we have a few questions:

1. Is this possible?

2. What are the caveats?

3. Will this break FIM Portal/Service?

4. Is this even recommended?

Thank you,

SK

August 20th, 2015 11:03pm

FIM Does not work in SQL Express Edition. I don't know how you had it working?!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 9:43am

My question is about using SQL Express for SharePoint Foundation 2010 vs using SQL Server for SharePoint Foundation 2010.
August 22nd, 2015 6:20pm

But will you be using the SharePoint User Profile Services, as you hinted or no.  if yes, Express will not work. You will need 2008 minimum.  You need to check with the pre-reqs for Installing FIM 2010 . https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee534909(v=ws.10).aspx 
August 24th, 2015 9:15am

No, let me explain again. We have a text book FIM deployment.

We have a single FIM Sync server.

We have a single FIM Portal/Service server (that runs on SharePoint Foundation 2010, and SharePoint Foundation uses SQL Express 2008 by default).

We have had a request to move this SharePoint Foundation 2010 SQL Express 2008 database to a full SQL Server (running on a remote server).

Since this is possible (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc512723%28v=Office.14%29.aspx), I have a few questions:

1. What are the caveats?

2. Will this break FIM Portal/Service?

3. Is this even recommended?

Hope this clarifies my question.

August 24th, 2015 5:58pm

We have a single FIM Portal/Service server (that runs on SharePoint Foundation 2010, and SharePoint Foundation uses SQL Express 2008 by default).

We have had a request to move this SharePoint Foundation 2010 SQL Express 2008 database to a full SQL Server (running on a remote server).

Since this is possible (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc512723%28v=Office.14%29.aspx), I have a few questions:

1. What are the caveats?

• Edited by Shim Kwan Monday, August 24, 2015 10:36 PM
August 24th, 2015 9:57pm

1. What are the caveats?

• Edited by Shim Kwan Monday, August 24, 2015 10:36 PM
August 24th, 2015 9:57pm

1. Now only it is clear what you need. 2. The article talks about moving databases from one server to another but i dont see where it applies to your case of moving between express to enterprise exitions. 3. I dont think this is possible and I would not recomend it 4. I can show you an easy way to do this -install a fresh SP using SQL full version -install a fresh portalt/service using the existing FIM database. -i believe you can achieve this bu running change (reinstall) option on current FiM portal but you need to be sure to have Db and server backups and do the due diligence That is all.
August 25th, 2015 8:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics