SharePoint 2013 crawl issue

Hi,

Recently installed SharePoint 2013 and the search component has been running fine for the last week for so. A few hours after a schedule reboot, we started seeing some errors that SP is unable to parse contents. No changes has been made on the farm and wondering if anyone else has experience a similar issue?

After seeing the below error message, SP search is broken (unable to return search result) and  is unable to crawl contents (docx, xlsx and pdf).

Error message:

Processing this item failed because of an unknown error when trying to parse its contents. ( Error parsing document 'https://url.com/test2.pdf'. Sandbox worker pool is closed.; SearchID = 356C78C7-4317-4528-87C6-303D86FB74DC ) 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

July 1st, 2013 5:22am

Can you check this thread and see if that may be of assistance:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/fd0f24b4-1802-4182-bdc4-6c732fb11cd7/search-service-failed-to-acquire-worker

Basically, you need to make sure that your service accounts have the appropriate permissions. If you are using the install account (that has local admin privileges), you may run into issues with search.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2013 5:40am

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the prompt response. The Search service account that I am using has the appropriate permission and not using the install account / have local admin permission. The search component has been working using the same service account.

The strange thing was it was running for the last week, suddenly last night it stopped working. When checking the ULS log, it came up with the following error:

SandboxWorker[5]: Parser server failed to start.  Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005).

Any idea?

July 1st, 2013 6:00am

I am still suspicious that it is a permissions issue. You might want to go through this step by step: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678863.aspx#Section3 and make sure that the permissions are set correctly for you service account.

Note that when you reboot a server, it obviously restarts services. So, if you installed SharePoint and started search and then changed the service account, the next time you start the service it will use the new account (not immediately).

The other possibility is that some group policy setting was changed.

July 1st, 2013 8:59pm

i agree with Doug, please verify that you followed the process to install SharePoint and configure search.

And for direct cause, you may check the security for the mssdmn.exe file in program files\microsoft office servers\15.0\bin, and check the DACL of Osearch15 service with sc sdshow osearch15 command. (i am not suggesting you to manually change the permission, just check to find out the cause). And you can also use Process Monitor to find out if there is access denied error associated with search process such as noderunner,mssdmn and mssearch.

July 2nd, 2013 11:03am

I am getting this as well. I think permissions are correct as when I restart the services and run a full crawl everything comes back pretty good. however, after a couple incremental crawls a more and more documents and aspx files fail to crawl making search pretty unreliable. I opened a ticket a couple days ago and we've been working through it but no luck yet.
July 3rd, 2013 10:23pm

Kreedo,

Did you manage to get this fixed? I'm getting the exact same error in multiple environments today, also after e couple of days with successfull crawling.

September 17th, 2013 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics