Shadow copies fail
@Sachin Gadhave: Using the site you recommended, I found that the Volume Shadow Copy and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider services were not started. I started them, but no luck. The site also says to check the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider in COM+ Applications, but I don't see it, or any way to add it. The COM+ applications are, ".Net Utilities," "COM+ Explorer," "COM+ QC Dead Letter Queue Listener," "COM+ Utilities," "IIS Out-of-Process Pooled Applications," and "System Application". @Zhang: I do see the scheduled task. If I run the task from this location, the Status column says, "Could not start". The Last Run column says, "Never". The Last Result column says, "0x0". The only VSS errors are 12290. I know that is related to the connected USB drive because, when I unplug the drive, they go away. Unfortunately, even with the USB drive disconnected, the shadow copies don't work. @butim: Tried that, no change
April 13th, 2012 11:30am

I've got a Server 2003 box with VSS files newer than those in update 833167. I've right-clicked the server's D: drive -> Properties -> Shadow Copies tab -> and enabled the snapshots. I am able to create shadow copies by clicking the "Create Now" button, but no shadow copies are created on the set schedule. There are no errors in the application or system logs, but nothing happens. How can I troubleshoot this? Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 13th, 2012 12:30pm

Start from here- VSS Troubleshooting http://www.gfi.com/blog/vss-troubleshooting/ Sachin Gadhave
April 13th, 2012 3:12pm

Hello, In Windows Server 2003, go to Start Menu All Programs Accessories System Tools Task Scheduler, do you see the scheduled Shadow Copy task? Right click the Shadow Copy task, click RUN to start the task manually. Does it run successfully? If not, is an error code or error message displayed? In "Last Result" column, do you see a hexadecimal number e.g. 0x8007000d? What is it? Please let us know the above information for further research. Also, in Event logs, search for VSS errors. Thanks Zhang
April 14th, 2012 3:04am

Hi, try this: -Delete all settings -Create a new shadow copy schedule but on the Settings dialog -Chosing the "No Limit" radio button Regards, Tim
April 14th, 2012 4:29am

Hello, Thanks for posting back. Could it be a permission issue? Right click the D:\ drive and go to Properties Security tab, do you see the account SYSTEM? The SYSTEM account should have full permission on D:\ drive. Take a look at a similar thread. Shadow Copy could not start http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/2003_Server/Q_22904688.html Thanks Zhang
April 16th, 2012 9:46am

I see that System does have Full Control rights to D:. Unfortunately, I can't see the solution to that Experts Exchange question.
April 20th, 2012 10:20am

I found the content of that Experts Exchange question. These are the steps I took: Delete C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\d42cc0c3858a58db2db37658219e6400_xxxx"Delete the scheduled task Disable Shadow CopiesRe-enable Shadow Copies Thanks.
April 20th, 2012 10:41am

Use this link for the Experts Exchange thread above: http://rdsrc.us/GkbAOg It will let you in automatically.
April 20th, 2012 2:48pm

Hello, Thanks for posting back. Could it be a permission issue? Right click the D:\ drive and go to Properties Security tab, do you see the account SYSTEM? The SYSTEM account should have full permission on D:\ drive. Take a look at a similar thread. Shadow Copy could not start http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/2003_Server/Q_22904688.html Thanks Zhang
April 21st, 2012 2:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics