Shadow Copies disappeared ?!
Hi, I have win2k3 r2, volume is 4tb , currently used 2tb with about 3000 shares. I used to be able to hold about a month full of shadow copies, now the max I can hold is 2 days for some reason. The size is set to be unlimited. Is there a size limitation for shadow copies ? Thanks !
April 8th, 2009 7:10pm

Hi, Could you please describe the issue in more detail? 1. Do you save volume shadow copies on the same partition on which volume shadow copies is enabled? 2. How much free disk space is on the partition where you save volume shadow copies? 3. Can you please save volume shadow copies on another larger partition to test the result? (Please remember to set the Maximum size as No limit) 4. Did you run Disk Defragmenter these days? Volume shadow copies may be lost if you run Disk Defragmenter. I look forward to hearing from you. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 9th, 2009 9:45am

Hi Tim, 1. Yes I saved it on the same volume. 2. There is about 2TB of free space.3.Yes I can, I will try to save it to my TB external drive.4. Yes, I was aware of that, I am currently using O&O server defrag. There are times that my shadow copies just completely disappear, I think it may be due to defrag program or another backup device that's doing a full VSS (symnatec server backup)But it just seem like my shadow copies is only limited to2-3 day worth. I have it schedule at 8am/12pm, so twice a day. I have turn off the defrag program and will monitor the progress for a couple day, and will report back.Thanks !
April 9th, 2009 4:42pm

I just had the same issue. I can see no events that give me a clue as to what happened???
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 27th, 2010 9:06pm

we're experiencing the same issue with a File server that's using an iSCSI target mount from a SAN that's sized in several Terabytes. usually there is an event (Source= Volsnap) that gets logged in when the shadow copies are deleted. it turns out the reason they get deleted is because of I/O load on the drive since we were saving the shadow copies on the same drive that was being shadow copied. we've since added a different physical drive for shadow copies and they've been fine since. although we're still having the second part of the issue where some shares just don't have any shadow copy instances available but if we browse through the parent folder which is also another share, we can see the shadow copies for all those folders then.. weird huh!!
June 4th, 2010 9:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics