Sever 2008 r2 - IP config lost on restart
This is totally crazy... Web server running SSL based web sites, Nic1 - primary IP 172.99.1.2 and has assigned 250 additional IP's (click properties and advanced, add..., enter the IP's) On restart of the server all added IP's are gone when doing an 'ipcoinfig /all' - only the primary remains. In the GUI (properties of the NIC and advanced TCP/IP) all the IP's remain. Server obviously doesn't operate with the mismatch. Being an IIS server, all the sites don't work. a temp fix until the next restart is to use netsh to add the missing IP's -- however the update is lost again on server restart netsh interface IP add address name="Local Area Connection" 172.99.1.3 255.255.192.0 This appears to be an OS level bug as the GUI and ipconfig don't match. anyone find a better solution than re-assigning all secondary IP's everytime the server is restarted?
October 26th, 2010 3:48pm

Have you considered using host headers rather than separate bindings? -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2010 5:06pm

Host headers aren't the issue - can't run SSL sites on a host header single IP. SSL requires use of unique IP or Port combinations. This issue is clearly an MS 2008 server bug. The following hotfix corrected the issues in my Sandbox environment but in my prod env, there are additional issues. There is a hotfix out specifically for this issue however it's only a partial fix. Found in interesting recent hotfix that addresses the issues around assigning additional IP's to a NIC. Note that this is not fully tested by MS. "Some IP addresses on the network adapter are lost after you restart a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Vista if several IP addresses are configured" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982931 Although much improved for assignment of IP addresses etc, I cannot get it to relinquish an incorrectly configured primary IP address. This incorrect config shows in the GUI but NOT in ipconfig. attempted the following to reconfig the NIC: - disabled nic and re-enabled - changed config, disabled, re-enabled - uninstalled NIC and re-installed - used netsh to remove the IP via cmdline - removed via cmdline AND in GUI, disabled and re-enabled, uninstalled and re-installed. Every time, it comes back up with the original IP showing in the GUI but not in the ipconfig. This behavior is also re-producible in my Sandbox servers... Clearly another MS bug. Found a related article but not specifically for server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937056 Testing continues. If anyone has suggestions or experience, love to hear about it.
October 28th, 2010 12:52pm

Final solution was the hotfix for the lost IP addresses on restart (mismatching between GUI and commandline IPCONFIG.exe) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982931 and a delete of (to address the inability to remove an incorrect primary IP after installing the above hotfix) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network 'Config' reg_binary Servers in both my sandbox test env and my production env are functional. The fact that this is can be readily reporduced in a test env across hardware platforms clearly points to an MS bug that is temporarily addressed with the above hotfix.
November 2nd, 2010 5:00pm

cjayce, Thank your so very much for posting this through to completion. I have fought this battle for almost 1.5 years. We are on our 3rd 2008 box, freshly built not restored, and same problem. We have about 25 IP's on it and just out of the blue on a restart, maybe 1 out of 5 restarts, we loose all IP's but the last one configured.....when viewed from ipconfig. All IP's still show in tact in the NIC settings GUI. On past servers, and to get this new one back online today, I have disabled NIC, enabled another NIC and reconfigured all the IP's AGAIN. The last time I researched this extensively was before August, when the hotfix was released, and never found anything. Today, If found your post and I can not describe how happy I am to know a fix. My intentions are to applly the hotfix and reboot. My question is, if you don't mind explaining, what "incorrect Primary IP" settings were in your system config? Entered by mistake by yourself, or what? Just trying to make sure I don't have something else going on. I see the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network 'Config' reg_binary but not sure if I should delete this or not. I am in hopes this has fixed it. Your 250 IP's had to have been frustrating. I have hesitated to enter mine back with netsh and have always done manually, mainly not knowing the right commands for netsh and being in a panic mode each time it occurred. On a side note, all my IP address show as "preferred" Thanks again and again!!! john
November 4th, 2010 10:01am

The registry key gets re-created on restart. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network 'Config' reg_binary One additional issue I found post hotfix was that the primary IP on the NIC became none functional on 1 server - required removal of all IP's using both Netsh and GUI (properties of tcp/ipv4 on the nic), disable card in device mgr, Delete the reg key, restart, enable the card, then re-assign all IP's. I believe this to be related to the IPv4 bug in windows server 2008 that the hotfix is supposed to address. Sadly the primary IP issue continued post hotfix and needed the removal of IP's, disable the card, delete the reg key in this post, restart, enable the card, assign IP's and test. The good news is that the hotfix does fix the additional IP assignment overwriting the existing IP's - and once the primary IP issue was solved, the servers seem OK - they keep IP's on restart - and I can assign additional as needed. All of this can be duplicated hardware independant - so this is clearly a bug in what I'm now calling 'Server Vista Edition'.
November 8th, 2010 10:17am

Thanks for the follow up!!! I have a totally different issue now that I can't seem to get around and that is that the hotfix will not apply to my production box. Error saying not intended for his machine, but yet it installed fine on sandbox of exact same hardware/version/bit and all. Been working on that for days and no resolution. Hopefully get resolved soon as we are adding a IP's all the time. Thanks again for your follow up.john
November 8th, 2010 10:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics