Setup shared storage for two Hyper-V hosts remoted managed by Hyper Manager (Windows 8.1)

I installed two Hyper-V bare-metal hosts, a Windows 8.1 Pro machine, one windows 2008 R2 domain controller , all installed inside VMware workstation 11 and bridged to my home LAN, the two Hyper-v hosts and the Windows 8.1 Pro machine, I enabled [1]  Virtualization Intel VT-x/EPT and AMD-V/RVI. [2] Virtualize CPU performance counters {VM workstation 11 --> VM -->settings -->hardware--->processor--->virtualization engine}, the two Hyper-V hosts are managed remotely from the Windows 8.1 Pro machine using Hyper-V manager.  On my home LAN, I have QNAP NAS and setup iSCSi storage, I easily add the iSCsi storage to the Windows 8.1 Pro machine, but two things buffling

1).  How come I could not initiate iSCSi connection directly from the two Hyper-V hosts (I could be wrong here)?  or can I initiate connection from two hosts using the remote Hyper-v manager?   [I conceptually treat Hyper-V barebone as esxi server, and Hyper-v manager as vSphere client]

2). I added iSCSi to the Win8.1 Pro machine, after formatting, it's treated as local HDD, but I can't add this to the Hyper-V hosts?   So far, I must install any VM onto the local HDD of the Hyper-v hosts, both only 20GB, that kinda stinks.

3). How can I add these two Hyper-V hosts to a small cluster?   Compare to VMware, Hyper-V is less intuitive, IMHO.

Due to licensing fee, I deploy Hyper-V through bare-metal installation without any Windows 2012 server, but almost every book, video, chat detailing configuration, Hyper-V is usually inside Windows Server 2012 R2. :-(

Thanks!

• Edited by Norman75 Saturday, June 20, 2015 8:37 AM
June 20th, 2015 8:19am

I found out Microsoft setup over 12 layers in order to allow Hyper-V directly access the iSCSi, you have to go DC and configure GPO to allow Hyper-V server automatically start iSCSi, then go there to run iscsicpl command to connect it, only to find out there is NO way to directly access the newly discovered "disk", then one has to install Server Manager onto Win8.1, {Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows  8.1}, then there would be 10 more steps, such as setting up firewall on Hyper-V, very complicated steps, then running some crazy powershell command on Hyper-V, then go to Win8.1 and start Server Manager, add HyperV-1/2 to it, only to be told authentication is required, then after authentication, then multiple failure would pop out, such as RPC connection, VDS failure, etc................    there would be multiple configuration for each one, ..............................

Obviously for something simple as (allowing Hyper-V to directly access iSCSi), Microsoft intentionally make it extremely convoluted (each step is extremely prone to failure), I mean when I first leanr Hyper-V server is free, I know there would be many many traps! I say Fuc* it!

setup Server Manager on windows 8.1,

• Edited by Norman75 Saturday, June 20, 2015 10:39 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2015 10:37am

Hi Sir,

>>I found out Microsoft setup over 12 layers in order to allow Hyper-V directly access the iSCSi, you have to go DC and configure GPO to allow Hyper-V server automatically start iSCSi

Generally , ISCSI service is not start automatically . If you run command " iscsicpl " the GUI will prompt that if you want to configure that service to start automatically .

>>then one has to install Server Manager onto Win8.1, {Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows  8.1}, then there would be 10 more steps, such as setting up firewall on Hyper-V .

This is by design .

Because 8.1 is a Client OS , hyper-v is server . To manage server from client OS  RSAT is needed .

The firewall setting is for security purpose , if it is just a lab for hyper-v host you can disable firewall .

In addition , please join clien and server into domain then use domain account to logon win8.1 to manage hyepr-v host (this domain account could be a member of hyper-v host's administrators or hyper-v administrators group ).

>>I installed two Hyper-V bare-metal hosts, a Windows 8.1 Pro machine, one windows 2008 R2 domain controller , all installed inside VMware workstation 11 and bridged to my home LAN

Running hyper-v host in nested hypervisor is not supported .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

June 22nd, 2015 11:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics