Setup for specific VPN/server question, too many options!
Hello, I have a pretty unique setup for my FSAE team at the University of Minnesota for a make shift server. Currently we use Solidworks for our CAD work and design so i setup a PDM network that allows us to check in/check out parts instead of waiting for the horribly slow school network. The problem was that the school would net allow us to use the school domain so we set a desktop up with Windows server 2008 R2, configured with a wireless card using a workgroup on the schools wireless. The PDM setup is incredible but I still have a lot to learn about it The real question is how can I set this up so people can access the vault remotely? I know there are many options like remote desktop and VPN but do not know what would be the best setup for us. The goal would be for me to be able to log into the workgroup or connect to it off campus and share the files in the vault. I have also seen many different ways that people have setup VPN servers. The last thing I wanted to do was make a setup where I could store important team files like sponsorship spread sheets, etc. but make it so only say the admin can change the file. Through doing this PDM server, I love how we can have part revisions in Solidworks, can you do anything like this with an excel sheet so we can have older revisions of the document? Thank you for any information you have! Sorry if its kind of a newbie question, there is a lot to learn on Windows Serever. Gavin
June 16th, 2011 2:18pm

I should add that I am not interested in step by step instructions, just an overview of what my options are so I can go down a certain route when setting this up. My fear is setting it up multiple times and finding it is not doing what I want it to do while in the process installing extra programs and changing settings. Thanks again
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2011 5:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics