Setup Windows 2012R2 DataCenter as DC ?
Hello,

We have recently acquired windows 2012R2 DataCenter and we plan to migrate our windows 2008 FSMO server.

My concern is: should I setup the Windows 2012R2 DataCenter as domain controler and assign to it the FSMO roles? Or should I create a virtual server (in data center)  which will hold the FSMO roles?

What are the Microsoft recommandations or the best practices?

Best regards,
April 26th, 2015 1:54pm

Hi

This depends on your needs,But i recomend you,you can install Wndows Datacenter 2012 r2 on your physcial server and install vm on it.(with hyper-v role).Also you can install Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard and tranfer 5 fsmo roles from server 2008 to server 2012 r2 standard.And you can also install another Windows server 2012 r2 standard then add as an Additional Domain Controller.Thats the suitable migration scenario.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2015 3:46pm

Hi,

In your scenario, what role will be assigned to the windows Datacenter? a domain member?

April 26th, 2015 4:44pm

Hi

You can create a vm on datacenter.And transfer fsmo roles this vm(Server 2012 r2 standard)Then install another vm on datacenter and add this server as an Additonal DOmain Controller to your domain.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2015 4:48pm

a domain member?

As long as you maintain a separate physical DC you should be Ok.

April 26th, 2015 7:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics