Setup VPN on Win2k8 Server with one network card and a 4 port linksys router
I have a Win 2008 Server R2 Enterprise and I would like to know how to setup a VPN connections on this 2k8 Server with one network card and a linksys 4 port router. I have read articals which have given other senerios, but my network does not meet those hardware requirements. Could anyone assist me with the steps for this process. wfpriceii
January 17th, 2011 7:09am

Hi, Can you please explain what you need to achieve? Do you need to connect to Win 2008 via VPN from outside your network? If so, all you need to do is to enable VPN on the server and configure port forwarding on the router. Make a Google search to find out exactly what ports need to be forwarded for Windows 2008 VPN.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 17th, 2011 9:01am

Yes, exactly. I need to connect to a Win 2k8 server from outside my network. Is that all I need to do? Just enable VPN on the server and configure packet forwarding on my router? Thanks I will try that. wfpriceiiwfpriceii
January 17th, 2011 9:57pm

Before you look at port forwarding, set up your server as a VPN server an make sure that you can connect from a workstation on the local LAN. If that all works, connecting remotely should also work when you set up the port fowarding. The only real difference is that, when connecting over the Internet, you must specify the router's public IP. The IP connection is made to the router and the forwarding extends it to the server on the LAN. Internally you use the server's LAN IP. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 17th, 2011 11:24pm

Yes, I have successfully configured my Win2k8 with VPN and selecting the "custom" option during the setup wizard. Also, I am able to connect to my Win2k8 server via VPN from a workstation on the inside of my network router. Ok, I understand about configuring my router to setup port forwarding. What I am trying to achieve by configuring VPN is connecting remotely, obviously, so my remote laptops can access and run an application. This Application is not a Network Version, but it was installed from a workstation with Local Admin privligives onto the server. Next, I installed the Application onto each workstation by connectiong to the server and now each workstation can access the installed application and all of the Application Database Files, which are centrally located on the server. Note: This installation process of the Application onto the Server, prevents you from running the Application directly from the server. Only from a workstation. After I complete configuring the router, I want to be able to configure my laptops to access this Application with an icon on the desktop and when the Application is run, then the application screen comes up. wfpriceiiwfpriceii
January 22nd, 2011 8:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics