Setup QOS on Windows Server 2003
Hi, I am trying to setup QOS on a Windows 2003 server, but I am having problems with the configuration. I have installed the QOS packet service and enabled 8021p on the NIC. However, I cannot see any way of configuring QOS in the Group policy editor. I have looked under Computer configuration > Administrative templates, but there is no 'NETWORK' tag Thanks in advance.
August 14th, 2012 2:42am

Hi, To create or edit a QoS policy, use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). When you edit a Group Policy object (GPO), you can find QoS policies in Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings or User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings in the Group Policy Management Editor. QoS policies created in Computer Configuration apply to computers regardless of who is logged on. QoS policies created in User Configuration apply to a user session regardless of the computer being used. Creating and Editing a QoS Policy technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771283.aspx QoS Tools and Settings: Quality of Service (QoS) technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737728(v=ws.10).aspx Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 14th, 2012 2:56am

Hello Rafic, Thank you for your suggestion. Your solution is for Windows 2008 and not for Windows 2003 Server, which is the system that I have. Regards.
August 14th, 2012 7:47am

Please see the second URL mentioned in Rafic's post, seems you have overlooked that ! QoS Tools and Settings (Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737728(v=ws.10).aspxI do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 7:51am

Thank you. It still doesn't answer my questions as to why it doesn't appear in the group policy editor - it quite clearly should. I have attached a screenshot of my group policy editor. Regards. Regards.
August 14th, 2012 8:55am

Hi, You are trying to edit local security policy. Use GPMC, see my earlier post and the second link which i posted. Group Policy settings are located in Computer Configuration Group Policy at Administrative Templates\Network\QoS Packet Scheduler http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737728(v=ws.10).aspx#w2k3tr_qos_tools_lmmu Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
August 14th, 2012 9:11am

Hello Rafic, Thank you for your posting. No, I am not trying to edit any security policy. As I mentioned in my intial posting the QOS settings should be in the Computer configuration\ Administrative templates\network\QOS, but they are not. The server is not part of a domain and therfore there is no 'group'. Regards.
August 14th, 2012 9:27am

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 9:28am

Hello Rafic, Thank you for your posting. No, I am not trying to edit any security policy. As I mentioned in my intial posting the QOS settings should be in the Computer configuration\ Administrative templates\network\QOS, but they are not. The server is not part of a domain and therfore there is no 'group'. Regards. Please check following Administrative Templates missing from Group Policy http://thehotfix.net/forums/index.php?/topic/15104-administrative-templates-missing-from-group-policy/ Restore Missing Folders to the Group Policy Editor in Windows XP (should work on 2003 as well) http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-missing-folders-group-policy-editor-xp/I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 9:38am

Excellent! Thanks Santosh - the second link in your last posting did the trick! Regards.
August 14th, 2012 10:03am

MyServer, You might want mark Rafic's first reply as answer as well as he provided right URLs.I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 10:05am

Excellent! Thanks Santosh - the second link in your last posting did the trick! Regards. Good to hear that :)I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 10:08am

Done - thank you.
August 14th, 2012 10:23am

One last question Chaps. I am trying to prioritize TCP and UDP TO and FROM from all IPs through my server (2003). The DSCP value for the traffic is 56. Could you please tell me what changes to make in the QOS packet scheduler section. Regards and thank you.
August 14th, 2012 10:37am

In DSCP value of conforming packets, verify that Guaranteed service type and Controlled load service each have the following settings: Enabled and correct DSCP value specified i.e. 56 Please see the screenshots below I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 11:25am

I spent hours trying find a solution to the questions that you both have answered so succinctly. I very much appreciate your time and effort - thank you.
August 14th, 2012 11:47am

You are welcome :) I am glad I could help.I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 14th, 2012 11:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics