Setting up an Internet connection on virtual machine

Hello, guys, i decided to use Hyper-V, because of its performance advantage over Virtualbox, but i have a problem with the Internet connection on the virtual machine. I get the Internet connection from my ISP through PPPOE connection and not just by placing LAN cable in my network adapter. I saw tutorials on the Web, but they are all based on getting the Internet connection directly through LAN or Wi-Fi without PPPOE. Could you tell me the steps for setting up my Internet on the VM for my case or point me to some tutorial or resource, etc.

September 5th, 2015 7:43am

Most routers can be setup to do PPPoE or are you asking about a dial-up modem connection?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2015 10:14am

I am asking how to get internet on the virtual machine, in Virtualbox is out of the box, but in Hyper-V is real "pain in the butt".
September 5th, 2015 10:22am

I am asking how to get internet on the virtual machine, in Virtualbox is out of the box, but in Hyper-V is real "pain in the butt".

Well if you cannot answer then we cannot help.

September 5th, 2015 10:31am

I don't have a router or a dial-up modem connection, what i have is a PPPoE connection in order to get my internet connection from my ISP. English is not my first language, so i don't know, whether i am explaining my problem correctly. Sorry! 
September 5th, 2015 10:36am

The simplest method would be to do it with hardware then.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135000

Another option

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/create-a-pppoe-connection-to-the-internet

September 5th, 2015 10:39am

In that case, I would stay with VirtualBox. Hyper-V was originally written for the server OS and has been modified to work in the client OS. VirtualBox or VMWare have better support for unusual network hardware found in some home machines.

I have never noticed any great performance differences between Hyper-V and VirtualBox on a Windows client OS. 

September 5th, 2015 7:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics