Setting up a network for the first time - I need help
I am attempting to set up a network for home use. I also want to be able to access the network from a remote location. I have just installed Windows Server 2008. I have access to the internet through a router, I access the router through a switch. I have another desktop computer running Windows Vista, a laptop running Windows 7 and another laptop running Windows XP. My main concerns are as follows: What Roles should I setup? How do I obtain a static IP address? How do I add a domain? What do I need to do after this?
March 9th, 2011 1:51pm

The best way to access internet from the clients would be by acquiring ip address from the dhcp server from your router as it will serve the purpose of dhcp server and also note that you clients default gateway should point to the routers interface address. What Roles should I setup? As a matter of fact if you are using ur router as DHCP service provider you dont need to assign any roles to the server. If there was no router i would have suggested you to install dhcp role on the server. How do I obtain a static IP address? If you are talking about the public Ip address then you should ask your isp to provide. How do I add a domain? In your case you dont need one :) but still if you want you have to install active directory to have on domain. What do I need to do after this? As a matter of fact you are a home users and you will have dynamic ipaddress on the router so you need to do a port forwarding on the router based on the services usually home users go with rdp which is 3389 http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2011 2:25pm

Please post your query on Homeserver Forum. Thanks
March 9th, 2011 2:30pm

Ok, How do I set up access to the files/folders on the server from the other computers (pc/laptops)? Do I just simply share the folders/files? Is this secure? I also would like to install programs on the server for access by the other computers (pc/laptops)
March 9th, 2011 3:10pm

yes do need to share those folders. Is this secure ? If its a home env why would u bother about security ? its secure unless if some one has physical acces to the server to breach the security. I also would like to install programs on the server for access by the other computers (pc/laptops what kind of programs u would like to sharehttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
March 9th, 2011 5:22pm

The laptops are at different locations so how would they access the server? Programs like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop...
March 10th, 2011 10:35am

How do I move my post?
March 10th, 2011 10:36am

what edition of operating system do you have please specify the full namehttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
March 10th, 2011 11:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics