Setting up a home DNS server
I want to host my own web site. I have registered the domain xyz.com and told the registrator to to point ns1.xyz.com to my public static IP. I have set up the web server and it is fully reachable from anywhere by its IP adress (have port forwarding on port 80 and 53 in the router). I have now set up DNS with a primary zone xyz.com and forwards requests to my ISP's DNS. I have alsa added an alias for ns1.xyz.com that points to the DNS server. Pinging xyz.com and ns1.xyz.com works fine locally on the server but not from any other computer. Is there any step I am missing?
February 28th, 2010 6:10pm

Pinging xyz.com and ns1.xyz.com works fine locally on the server but not from any other computer. Is there any step I am missing? it sounds to me like you have just about all of the steps covered. When you say that no other computer can ping by IP, you tested this from the inside of your network and outside? Your internal computers should be pointing to your internal DNS server for resolution. Have you tested that?From the outside of your network, first test to make sure that you infact are reaching your internal DNS server. from an internet computer, using the NSLOOKUP command, type set typ=ns [enter]xyz.com [enter]Do you get the hostname and IP for your NS server? If you do, lets verify that the packets are actually getting into your network.You could turn on debugging on the DNS server via the properties in the DNS console, or turn on a packet capturing program such as Wireshark.Are the packets arriving to the server from the outside? Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 28th, 2010 6:28pm

Hi In line with Jorge suggesiton , i would like to capture netmon / wireshark trace and identify the port forwarding . Check if port forwarding for 53 is working , another test is to enable NAT and test the scenario.
March 9th, 2010 6:28am

Hi , Did you had a chance to go through our suggestions ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2010 4:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics