Setting up RemoteApps from Win8 via VDI

Setting up VDI on WS2012 I can load a Win7 template VM and add RemoteApps just fine, but if I load up a Win8RP template VM I get the error:

To Populate the list of RemoteApp programs, the following requirements must be met on the virtual desktop:
1. The currently logged on user must be a member of the Administrators group on the virtual desktop.
2. The virtual desktop must be available on the network.

Exception: Unable to retrieve RemoteApp programs for the Start menu.

I can RDP into all of the Win8 VDI machines and verified both domain admins and my personal domain account are both in the administrators group on the machine. I assume this is some sort of bug, possibly related to the removal of all the start menu hooks for Metro? There also seems to be some sort of bug with the Win8 sysprep as it doesn't delete the existing user profiles like the Win7 sysprep does.

I haven't been able to find any sort of blog or other posts on implementing VDI on WS2012 past publishing the VMs, nothing I've found has gone on to publishing RemoteApps as well.

July 24th, 2012 9:47am

Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) technologies in Windows Server 2012 offer three flexible VDI deployment options: Pooled Desktops, Personal Desktops, and Remote Desktop Sessions (formerly Terminal Services).

If you want to configure VDI, you can follow this link(external source): http://blog.itvce.com/?p=1569

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 24th, 2012 11:11am

Right except I want to go a step further than that blog goes and configure the virtual desktops as RemoteApp servers, which is where windows 7 VD's work just fine, but windows 8 RP VD's throw the above error
July 24th, 2012 7:40pm

To do this, you need to have published a virtual-machine based desktop collection, and then select the VMs in the collection that you want to publish VMs from.  You do not point to the template VM when publishing RemoteApps from VMs. 
July 25th, 2012 4:09pm

By "load up a Win8RP template VM" I meant "select a VM based on a win 8 template" and I DID all of that and now when I go to publish RemoteApp in the Server Manager for the windows 8 and select one of the published VMs to retrieve the available remote Apps from I get the error I posted. Following the EXACT SAME STEPS with my windows 7 published VMs I instead get a nice list of available programs I can publish as RemoteApps and the ability to browse the drives for additional apps. I actually DID publish a number of office RemoteApps and IE9 from my win7 VMs and they work fine but no matter what win8 gives:

July 26th, 2012 12:32am

Can you connect to the VMs in the collection?  The error indicates that when we try to query the VM for a list of programs that are installed so that we can publish them, we are unable to make a network connection to the VM.  Does the VM have a valid IP address?
July 26th, 2012 12:24pm

As I stated in my original post "I can RDP into all of the Win8 VDI machines and verified both domain admins and my personal domain account are both in the administrators group on the machine." so yes, as I stated previously, I can in fact make a network connection to the VM both from my workstation and the VM host so yes it does in fact have a valid IP.

edit: I published the template twice and had this error both times, I will now just make a whole new win8 install and sysprep that but I'm still fairly sure that won't help. None of the reviews of VDI I've seen in regards to WS2012 go into publishing RemoteApps they all end at publishing the VMs.

• Edited by -Jason G- Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:41 PM further testing on my end
July 26th, 2012 12:34pm

You're not doing anything wrong that I can tell, and we do cover this scenario in our Understand and Troubleshoot guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29022

I suspect there is a problem with the template VM that of course exists now in the VMs of the collection as they are a copy of the template.  I have been able to publish RemoteApps to virtual machines many times in my testing, but I am always using a clean VM with no other modifications made to it.  When building your template VM, as a test, install the OS only (no apps) and do not add it to your domain.  Create a simple collection and see if you can publish any apps to the VM.  Please update the thread with your results and we can go from there.

July 26th, 2012 1:51pm

I'm seeing the exact same error message.  I've deleted the collection as well as the virtual machines, started from scratch and I still get the same error message.  This is prior to adding it to the domain as well as after.  It's a fresh install with no apps other than those in Win8RP.

I can also get to the VM via RDP without any problems.

• Edited by psuhelp Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:14 PM
July 26th, 2012 5:11pm

Are you running Windows Server 8 Beta and Windows 8 Consumer Preview or Windows Server 2012 RC and Windows 8 Release Preview?
July 26th, 2012 6:30pm

Not sure if that was directed to me or Jason and I apologize if it seems as though I'm hijacking the thread, but hopefully we're looking for the same resolution.  Don, I'm running Windows Server 2012 RC and Windows 8 Release Preview.

July 26th, 2012 6:50pm

Where did you obtain the template VM?  Did you build it from scratch from an ISO or did you pick up a vhd from somewhere?
July 26th, 2012 7:26pm

Downloaded the 64-bit Windows 8 Release Preview iso from Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

As Jason is experiencing the Virtual Machine seems to work fine.  I can connect to it within Hyper-V Manager, RD Web Access, and directly from Remote Desktop Connection.

July 26th, 2012 7:43pm

I thank you both for your patience and willingness to give me information.  I will say that I do not know what the problem is, and I have never seen this error before on any of my test systems. The functionality was intended to work without the admin needing to do anything else but setup a collection (where it is provisioned), and so as long as the VM is up and running and we can "see" it via the network then we should be able to query it for a list of installed apps.

Can you set the following registry keys, close and re-open Server Manager, repro the problem, and then send me RDMSDeploymentUI.txt file that is created?

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\RDMS (you will need to create RDMS key)

EnableDeploymentUILog

REG_DWORD

Value: 1

EnableUILog

REG_DWORD

Value: 1

Email is my username @Microsoft.com

July 26th, 2012 8:44pm

I couldn't find RDMSDeploymentUI.txt anywhere but I did find RdmsUI-trace.txt in the temp folder and it seemed to have pertinent info in it so I sent it to you.

The log was from the importing of a brand new Win8 VM created from en_windows_8_release_preview_with_apps_x64_dvd_863996.iso with a SHA-1 of D76AD96773615E8C504F63564AF749469CFCCD57 which matches the SHA-1 in technet details and installed to the point of reaching the desktop for the first time then syspreping, no updates or domain join performed. Created a new collection with all default settings except changed pooled to personal desktop collection.

You say you've setup remote apps in your lab numerous times but have you done it from a WS2012RC host to a W8RP VM? The command that's failing is RDManagement\Get-StartMenuApplications and, well, Win8 doesn't HAVE a start menu. I know I read an article a few months back about how the Win8 team was going to go through and rip out as much stuff related to the start menu as they could to prevent people from trying to re-enable it so it would stand to reason that they just might gut a command like that.

July 27th, 2012 3:26am

Do you by chance have multiple network interfaces in your host server?

July 27th, 2012 2:43pm

Yes what with all the nifty new multi-stream file transfers and all.
July 27th, 2012 3:31pm

Okay, I have seen issues like this in the past that are resolved by changing the binding order of the NICs.  This is something that we used to do much more frequently in earlier versions of Windows, and the UI to do it in Windows Server 2012 is still there but it is not as easy to find.  What you need to do is make sure that the physical NIC and Hyper-V NIC that your VMs are using is first in the binding order.

On your host, go to Network and Sharing Center

Click change adapter settings

Click Organize, then Layout, then Menu bar.

In the menu bar, click Advanced, and then Advanced Settings.

Under Adapters and Bindings, move the RDS Virtual NIC and physical NIC to the top of the binding order, and then click OK.

Try it again after doing this and let me know if it still fails.

July 27th, 2012 4:22pm

I have 4 NICs, one shared between host and VMs, one unshared to VMs only, and 2 that are host only. The VDI VMs are on the one shared with the host. That one was already on the top so I moved the other two host only NICs up just under it and same problem. I then tried VM only NIC with all 3 then disabled all but one NIC and tried again, each time same problem.
July 27th, 2012 4:56pm

Can you run the following PowerShell command and let me know the results?  You will need to enter your collection name and VM name:

Get-RDAvailableApp -CollectionName <name> -VirtualDesktopName <name>

Oh, and try running the command on all the VMs in the collection and let me know if it works for some and not for o

July 27th, 2012 5:28pm

Can't get that command to work, tried on both RD broker and VM host, same error:

Get-RDAvailableApp : A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist on tgh-vdi.thegouldhouse.net. This operation
can be performed after creating a deployment. For information about creating a deployment, run "Get-Help
Set-VDIDeployment" or "Get-Help Set-RDSHDeployment".
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-RDAvailableApp -CollectionName Win8Bare -VirtualDesktopName TGH-Win8-2V0
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Get-RDAvailableApp

Using those get-help commands gives errors that they can't be found and can't find any info on TN. The only component I don't have setup is an RD gateway.

July 27th, 2012 5:54pm

Additionally....check the IP Address that the VM is assigned and verify that with DNS, make sure the VM address matches what is returned if you ping it from the Connection Broker.
July 27th, 2012 6:07pm

DNS and ping addresses are the same
July 27th, 2012 6:15pm

You run this command on the Connection Broker (RDMS Server).  According to the log you sent me, your collection name is "Win 8 Bare", so you need to enter it in exactly like that with the quotes.

GET-RDAvailableApp -CollectionName "Win 8 Bare" -VirtualDesktopName TGH-Win8-2V0

The error message indicates that we cannot connect to the VM to get a list of RemoteApps.  This means that either the IP address that DNS is returning to the Connection Broker is not valid or there is some other network communication problem between the Connection Broker and the VM.

July 27th, 2012 7:13pm

After I got the error the first time I changed the name to Win8Bare just to get rid of the possible problem with spaces and quotes, also tried Win_8_Bare, also tried running the same command on my windows 7 collection which does work and got the same error.
July 27th, 2012 7:15pm

I ran the command and received the following on the Server.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-RDAvailableApp -CollectionName Win8RP -VirtualDesktopName Win8RP0
Unable to retrieve RemoteApp programs for the Start menu.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [], WorkflowTerminatedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : JobStateFailed
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

July 31st, 2012 12:45pm

Jason, be sure to select Run As Administrator when you launch PowerShell or you'll see the error message that you're getting.
July 31st, 2012 1:03pm

Well don't I feel like an idiot

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-RDAvailableApp -CollectionName Win8Bare -VirtualDesktopName TGH-Win8-2V0

July 31st, 2012 3:43pm

I assume you are both using Windows 8 Release Preview as the template VM?  Jason, you said that your Windows 7 VMs work fine, are they Windows 7 Enterprise SKU?
August 2nd, 2012 5:33pm

I assume you are both using Windows 8 Release Preview as the template
August 2nd, 2012 7:41pm

Unfortunately, I think the issue is that you are using Windows 8 Release Preview.  The supported OS for VDI is Windows 8 Enterprise.  All of my testing is always with Windows 8 Enterprise so it makes sense that I have never seen this issue.
August 2nd, 2012 10:11pm

Yes my Win7 VMs are enterprise so that would be it then.

August 3rd, 2012 2:08am

It would have worked also with Windows 8 CP (Beta) as that release was more like an Ultimate version, where Windows 8 RP was the Professional version release.
August 3rd, 2012 4:40am

This still happens on Server 2012 RTM and vms with Windows 8 Enterprise RTM. Same scenario as described above, same problem exactly. Has a solution been found?
August 28th, 2012 5:58pm

I've actually experienced a different problem with the Enterprise RTM, I can make remote apps but when I connect to them they're just black boxes that I can seemingly interact with (clicking upper right corner closes them at least), can't seem to make it actually show content though, works fine if I connect manually to the VM. Also RemoteFX does the same thing on the VM itself, just doesn't show anything.
August 28th, 2012 6:01pm

This thread is wrongly marked as answered. The problem is not resolved and the proposed answer is not accurate or applicable.
August 29th, 2012 11:27am

I am having the same problem trying to publish RemoteApps with Win7 VMs.  These VMs are not customized beyond having the current windows updates installed.  So it doesn't appear to be an issue just with Windows 8.  I have confirmed:

1.)  VM is running

2.)  Admin user is logged in.

3.) Firewall on VM is off

4.) VM Switch and Bound NIC are at top of binding order (although, which should be first, the VM switch or the physical NIC?)

I did get-RDavailableApp and the error returned is:

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [], WorkflowTerminatedException
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

So has there been any updates on what is the cause of this and a possible solution?

February 6th, 2013 11:39pm

I encountered this problem recently on an otherwise 100% fully functional RDVH host running Server 2012, but we did find our root cause. The issue:

All our pooled collections were 'Windows 7 Professional" and "Windows 8 Professional". This is a known limitation of non-Enterprise versions (most other features work), as shown in this table.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/11/26/remotefx-features-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

March 8th, 2013 10:50pm

Hi Guys, I'm also having this issue currently. I'm on Windows Server 2012 and I can't set up remote apps from Windows 8 Enterprise x86. The error I am getting are the same as Jason G. Any solutions to this?
July 25th, 2013 12:48am

I have the same problem and I have tried with Windows Firewall Turned Off and Windows Firewall Turned on with exceptions.  I am trying to pull remote apps off a Server 2003 R2 SP2 Box and a Windows XP box.  Both are having issues.
December 13th, 2013 4:43pm

Hi,

My name is waseem 

I have created personal collection, then I try to publish App  but i am getting same error.

OS in collection Windows 7 Pro 

i am having Windows server 2012 Std .

can you help me out how to resolve the same issue

February 28th, 2014 7:39am

I too have found the same problem,  I have tried win8.1 pro full copy, and 

technet.microsoft.com/en-au/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

Is there a work around or patch to prove concept to management, or just go Citrix?

July 6th, 2014 12:43am

I am getting the same error. Our collection is a VM using Windows 7 Pro on a server 2012

I have added both admin and administrators to the local machine admin group and the VM is seen on the network.

I can publish apps installed on the server itself though

August 2nd, 2014 10:51am

I have this issue as well.

I am using a template off of Windows 7 Enterprise Trial (the one you can download off of technet trial center), it had the integration services installed and it was SP1.

I don't know why I can't do it either.

October 23rd, 2014 6:29am

I have 2 members on my managed pool, on one I get:

Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [], UnauthorizedAccessException

on the other one I get:

both of them are deployed from the same syspreped template

October 23rd, 2014 6:49am

Oh forget it, in my case it was old DNS entries for the VMs. I don't know why they didn't dynamically update their A record in DNS, but anyways, manually updated their DNS with their current IP address and now the list shows up. thanks.
  • Proposed as answer by aman_007 8 hours 8 minutes ago
  • Unproposed as answer by aman_007 8 hours 8 minutes ago
  • Proposed as answer by aman_007 8 hours 8 minutes ago
October 23rd, 2014 7:22am

Yes, it helped me to resolve the problem. I have 2012R2 and WIndows 8.1 Enterpise in test enviroment. when i ping my VDI machine, it said Destination host unreachable, however the lost packets were zero. 

I checked in my DNS the VDI IP and DNS IP for VDI was different . 

I run flushdns and clear client dns cache on dns and VDI machines. After that i was able to succesfully ping the VDI machine. Now  I am able to publish my remote apps.

• Edited by aman_007 7 hours 59 minutes ago
June 27th, 2015 7:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics