Setting Up NAT to share Internet Access...
Hey all I posted this in the General forum too, but I figure I would post it here just in case someone tells me "All network related issues should be posted in their corresponding forums"So I've been wanting to build a corporate network mock-up of everything you might encounter in the corporate work place, both for studying and for testing purposes... I myself am a lowly Desktop Support Analyst (Kinda over-glorified title) but am wanting to add more to my repertoire...Anyway I have a domain controller feeding out to 1 client that I want to have internet access that way I can play with ISA server, and show my wife the program I used to monitor her Internet activity at our old job, in which my ex-boss (Robert Coen, really cool guy) wanted me to find the culprit and tell them to stop killing all our bandwidth with internet radio, couldn't follow through with disciplining her instead we got married!!! But now I want to have a server that shares out the internet if only to 1 client...Let me ask, my network is as follows: (text diagram)DSL Modem----Router----(wifi to:>)----Server 2k3----HUB----CLientNow it goes from the DSL Modem to router where a small peer-to-peer network was setup that is seperate from the domain/servers network, the server connects to the internet via a wifi card, and the client connects to the server via a netgear 4-port hub...My questions are:1.Is the layout of the network prior to reaching the server something I should be concerned about? ( i.e. having the DSL Modem to router, then to server running NAT and having NAT route some more...)2.Is the 4-port HUB to the client an issue???I'm thinking its the HUB...I did setup the servers wifi and NIC statically, and also the clients NIC statically. Disabled Firewall/ICS, and ran the Routing and Remote Access Wizard, assigning the correct cards to the public and private questions in the wizard, but nothing...Anyway I do appreciate all the responses, and as a network test and a anti-VISTA test today I ran a remote desktop connection from the server to the 1 client which conneced to a mapped drive that resides on the server which has the old DirectX game Quake2 I ran Quake2 in software mode from the remote machine within server 2003 and it still played faster than Vista running it directly on its own drive using software mode as well... (As you can tell I'm not a big fan of VISTA...)Specs:Server Dell 170l, Pentium 4c 3GHz 512KB L2 800MHz FSB, 1GB DDR400Client Dell GX260 Pentium 4a 2GHz 512KB L2 400MHz FSB, 256MB DDR333----53 processes at start for server, and 22 for client----Vista Specs:Dell 170l --same as above, just on a different partition------41 processes at start, and still slower than the server----In closing, thanks again, and I just put the vista stuff in there cause I like to learn and experiment...However PLEASE DO REPLY TO MY QUESTIONS...Regards, AaAB...
February 14th, 2009 1:48pm

Answered in general forum.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 15th, 2009 3:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics