Setting Up Kerberos Authentication
Unless your query relates to the Beta trial of Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2, you would be better advised to find a more appropriate forum for your question.Robin Walker
August 11th, 2010 6:07pm

Hi I am having an issue on my Domain Controller (Windows Server 2008). I am working on enabling Kerberos authentication for SharePoint 2010 running SQL server 2008 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 and I am trying to create an SPN for SQL server service account in my domain controller using ADSIEDIT.MSC The problem is I am unable to locate the container with the SQL Server service account for there is no CN=SQLServer2008 or something, how do I get it to show? The funny thing is I have another server running Windows Sever 2003 and SQL Server 2005 and its showing the CN=SQLServer2005 in my domain controller under CN=User Container. Your assistance with the above will be greatly appreciated.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 8:25pm

Hi, To create SPN for SQL 2008 service, you can refer to the following articles: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee191523(SQL.100).aspx http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917409 Regarding the container CN=SQLServer2008, I am afraid that this forum is not the best resource to assist you. I suggest that you post to the SQL Server forum. The experts there should be able to help you locate the container. SQL Server forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver/ Thanks for your understanding.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 12th, 2010 5:47am

Hi, Please check the reply in the other thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversecurity/thread/b087c5f2-9607-4e79-9a2c-bd2155a495ddThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 12th, 2010 8:06am

Hi I am having an issue on my Domain Controller (Windows Server 2008). I am working on enabling Kerberos authentication for SharePoint 2010 running SQL server 2008 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 and I am trying to create an SPN for SQL server service account in my domain controller using ADSIEDIT.MSC The problem is I am unable to locate the container with the SQL Server service account for there is no CN=SQLServer2008 or something, how do I get it to show? The funny thing is I have another server running Windows Sever 2003 and SQL Server 2005 and its showing the CN=SQLServer2005 in my domain controller under CN=User Container. Your assistance with the above will be greatly appreciated. If you are running the SQL service as a domain user, you can either use the setSPN command (included in Server 2008) or as you are doing with ADSIEDIT. I strongly suggest to use the setSPN command has this has some more functions than just editing the container. First I would use Active Directory Users and Computers to find in what OU your SQL service account is. Then navigate to the same container with ADSIEDIT. Rightclick the user and choose properties. Find the "Service Principal Name" attribute and here you can enter the MSsqlsvc\<FQDN SQL server name> Another way to go is to edit the rights for that attribute and give the user control to register it's own SPN. This is not a good security practice though, but can be helpfull in troubleshooting if one does not know the correct SPN to register or what user needs an SPN registered. Regards Morten
August 12th, 2010 10:21am

Hi. How's everything going? Is there any update on the issue? If you need further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to respond back. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 16th, 2010 5:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics