Set up a Domain over the internet
I have three branches each connected to the internet via a 10Mb Fibre broadband connection all on static IP addresses. I need to be able to share files across all three sites, and I also need set up email which can be accessed on all three sites. I have 3 servers (one for each site) and copies of the following: Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2008 SBS and Windows 2008 (R1).I think I need to set up a VPN (but have no idea what this means yet or how to start) - I also think that I need to have a single domain with the Primary Domain Controller in my main branch (on Windows 2008R2) with a further Domain controller on each site (one of these housing my SBS Exchange server).I have loads of questions which I would be grateful for some help on:Am I on the right track?Will the broadband connection be fast eneogh to support my file sharing needs?What is the best way to keep files synchronised over the domain?What is the best VPN protocol to use (assuming VPN is the way forward)?Does anyone have any good reference sites for me to read up on?To give you an idea of my level of competence (quite low):I have previously set up a domain, for file sharing with MS Exchange 2009 (SP1) installed.This also had 2 HyperV vitual machines on it with Sharepoint on one and SQL server on the other.and that is about the extent of my knowledge!All help appreciated.Mark,
December 7th, 2009 5:28pm

Hello, first of all, how are the offices connected to each other? Do you have router on each office..Once you have your network sync to gether and able to communicate beteen offices, file sharing will not be an issue.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 8th, 2009 5:03pm

Hi Isaac.Yes they will be connected over a the internet via a broadband connection through a router on each site (each with a static IP).I am not sure how to set them up so that they are part of the same domain if the internet is in the way, which is why I was asking about if I needed to set up a VPN.Thanks
December 8th, 2009 5:09pm

Hello,I will suggest because of the complexity of your situation you may need to have to talk or consult with someone to evaluate your networkIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 9th, 2009 5:02pm

Hello,you have to keep in mind that the Windows server 2008 SBS machine MUST have the 5 FSMO roles in the domain and that you are limited to 75 users with that OS version. Doesn't matter if you have Windows server 2008 or Windows server 2008 R2 in use.VPN(virtual private network):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_networkSee for planning of AD environment the "Active Directory Domain Services.zip" in:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AD3921FB-8224-4681-9064-075FDF042B0C&displaylang=enWith your own knowledge and the information from Isaac and above i would also suggest to get some support at least for the evaluation.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 27th, 2009 11:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics