Set-WsManQuickConfig : the specified file cound not be found

Hi all ,

I'm struggling with a strange issue regarding WSMan.

I browsed many forums but it seems I cannot find a solution to this. It is not related to the issue with Public Network nor is it related with the windows firewall as the rule was successfully created.

Everytime , I try to enable PSRemoting  , I receive this stange error:

Set-WSManQuickConfig : <f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault" Code="2"
Machine="localhost"><f:Message><f:ProviderFault provider="Config provider"
path="%systemroot%\system32\WsmSvc.dll"><f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault"
Code="2" Machine="SINFRDS2.hsn.local"><f:Message>The system cannot find the file specified.
</f:Message></f:WSManFault></f:ProviderFault></f:Message></f:WSManFault>
At line:69 char:17
+                 Set-WSManQuickConfig -force
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Set-WSManQuickConfig], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WsManError,Microsoft.WSMan.Management.SetWSManQuickConfigCommand

The operation log gave me this:

WSMan operation Invoke failed, error code 2

The module with the patch mentioned  as "%systemroot%\system32\WsmSvc.dll" also exists.

Could someone points me to a lead ? 

Thanks.

January 28th, 2015 3:07pm

Hi jrv ,

thank you for your answer.

The firewall service is runningbut the firewall itself is disabled for this server.  I followed your lead anyway and activated the inbound rule in the firewall settings.

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve my issue.

I should mention that I dont have the error saying "Unable to check the status of the firewall."

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 28th, 2015 4:17pm

Hi jrv ,

The firewall service is runningbut the firewall itself is disabled for this server.  I followed your lead anyway and activated the inbound rule in the firewall settings.

I should mention that I dont have the error saying "Unable to check the status of the firewall."

January 28th, 2015 4:17pm

Hi jrv ,

January 28th, 2015 7:17pm

What OS are you running?
January 28th, 2015 7:51pm

Unfortunately this isn't a scripting issue. It is a break/fix and configuration issue

I suggest continuing to search for more instances of the error message.  It is a commmunications error of some kind.

http://superuser.com/questions/291746/how-to-fix-this-winrm-error-set-wsmanquickconfig-err

January 28th, 2015 8:17pm

Hi Ben ,

it is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

January 29th, 2015 11:22am

Hi jrv,

thanks for your input.

I tried several solutons proposed in the link you provided without success.

As today, all I can say is that it isn't related to Network Location( set to 'Work') , the firewall ( enabled and rule created) , the antivirus ( disabled) , the admin rights ( domain admin part of the local admin group) , or the language( English).

SFC /scannow doesn't detect anything.

I made several debugging traces without success.

I will continue to look further and post results if I get any.

February 2nd, 2015 9:47am

Maybe try enabling PSDiagnostics for more details? It's a PowerShell module which enables tracing of commands. Check it out and see if it gives you some more insight.

http://windowsitpro.com/blog/troubleshooting-winrm-and-powershell-remoting-part-1

March 20th, 2015 3:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics