Services loosing login rights - question
I am trying to find out how services loose there "logon as" rights? Even when the password hasn't changed, the 'logon as' tab displays the correct account. This appears to happen usually right after reboot. So test have been ran successfully, where we know the service retains the same account/password, a reboot occurs, and yet the service fails to start. Attempting to start it manually results with an "login failure". This requires typing in the password again, and restarting the service. We have seen this accross many different server platforms (2000, 2003..ect). Anyone know why?
November 2nd, 2007 8:54pm

Could you please decribe the services that are failing to start? John
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2007 9:24pm

I am having this same problem. any service that has a login fails, the service that use local system account start just fine. This only started after I upgraded to SP2 on my 2003 server. any Ideas?
November 8th, 2007 7:01pm

I've had it happen to a couple of services. Both are on Win 2003 SP2. It logfails when you attempt to start the service, you retype the password, and apply the new password.At that point, theaccountgets the"logon as a service" right. But it musthave had that priv earlier for the service to run up to that point. Both are services for 3rd-party apps (different vendors). Both are web-deployed apps that have SQL Server backend databases. One uses a domain account, the other a local account. I haven't figured this out either, and I'd like to know how it's happening, too.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 17th, 2007 12:33am

Yep. Mine as specific services such as Microsoft Share point, Citrix SMA services and a few other which is the point that it is across the board. I have a couple servers doing it, and it appears to be different application services. Though, they are the same services that fail each time.I believe that it must have something to do with the "logon as" service.
October 8th, 2008 9:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics