Service terminated unexpectedly
Hi, We have developed a service <MyService> which runs on Windows 2003 server. It is running under a domain user account. The user belongs to IIS_WPG group and Performance Group. It is part of Policies like “Allow log on locally”, “Allow to run a service” etc. It is running fine on 2 Development Win2003 servers: 1 with UPHClean and 1 without UPHClean but it does not run on the 3rd Win2003 server in client environment. I am getting following errors in event logs: “Windows saved user <domain>\<user> registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.” “Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.” “The <MyService> service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).” I have searched through all of the articles online. According to Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115 we need UPHClean. One of our server has UPHClean installed, the <MyService> runs fine on this server, even when the UPHClean is not running. On Other server <MyService> is crashing all the time and keeps incrementing count i.e. ”It has done this 6 time(s)” etc. I would like to know: Is there a way to find why is it crashing? How can I fix the server configuration/group policy to get it working? Is there any policy which needs to be updated? Thanks, Jaspreet Singh
October 5th, 2009 9:50am

Not sure what kind of application this service is running, but yes you can try to find the root cause of the crashes with ADPLUS. This willl create a Dump file which you can submit to PSS for review.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350.Raj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 5th, 2009 9:57am

Hi Jaspreet Thanks for posting in windows forum. I have read your post.The error which you are seeing is related to your application , and the UPHclean is called only when the user session is logged off and not before that. UPHclen tracks the shutdown.exe events and then performs the activity of releasing the handles / open handles. You are trying to concentrate on 2 issues a) UPHclean and b) Your custom service.first i would like to resolve your custom service issues and later troubleshoot UPHclean service. Being said that you could always use visual studio for debugging the service locally. I would like you to check application verifier for unmanged code. Using visual studion please check if the open handles are getting closed. You could also use debug view provided you have writting debugview output statements. Please verify how is the memoery allocation performed using your custom service. with the above analysis if you need to debug your applicaiton as well as windows memory , you could use adplus crah dump as raj suggested, provided you are familiar to view the stack and analyze the memory using windbg. sainath !analyze
October 5th, 2009 10:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics