Service stop randomly
Anyone know about this event ID from the security log? The account that was logged off is a service account used to run a custom windows service. The service has been stopping randomly of late and I suspect it's something to do with this logoff event. This account does not have permissions to log into remote desktop so the logoff is not from an interactive remote desktop session. The account is a member of the local admins group. I've matched up times with the system log source service account manager. When this account it logged off, the service stops within seconds afterward. I've attached an image of the event in question. Any help towards helping me understand this logoff event would be greatly appreciated. George Talbert
September 27th, 2011 11:14pm

Hi George, Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support. Regards, Bruce
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 29th, 2011 6:08am

Hi, Thanks for your post. The event logs as a result of auditing enabled on subcategory on logoff. For more detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft article and its sub-links: Security Auditing http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771395(WS.10).aspx Audit Logoff security policy setting determines whether the operating system generates audit events when logon sessions are terminated. These events occur on the computer that was accessed. In the case of an interactive logon, these would be generated on the computer that was logged on to. There is no failure event in this subcategory because failed logoffs (such as when a system abruptly shuts down) do not generate an audit record. Logon events are essential to understanding user activity and detecting potential attacks. Logoff events are not 100 percent reliable. For example, the computer can be turned off without a proper logoff and shutdown taking place; in this case, a logoff event will not be generated. If you wish to disable the Detailed tracking of the logon and logoff events, we can run the below commands in the command prompt and let us know if you still receive those events ================================================================================================================ auditpol /set /subcategory:"logon" /success:disable /failure:disable auditpol /set /subcategory:"logoff" /success:disable /failure:disable This will disable the detailed tracking of logon and logoff events locally on the box . Best regards, Spencer Shi Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 30th, 2011 1:17am

Thank you BruceGeorge Talbert
September 30th, 2011 9:17am

Thanks for the reply Spensor. So do you think that when the service stops the account is logged off? They happen simultaneous so it's hard to tell which event occurs first. George Talbert
September 30th, 2011 9:20am

Hi George , As you have states, that is hard to say whether the service stop caused the logoff or the logoff caused the service stop. If the two events happened simultaneous, it is also possible that other issues caused the two events. Have you aware that some other events occured before the two events? Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 5th, 2011 4:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics