Service monitor

Team,

got a typical query from my app owner.

we have a service monitor which is very critical. when the service is down how much time actually it takes SCOM to acknowledge it and notify it.

in my case it is taking 2-3 sec is their a way to reduce this.

March 30th, 2015 1:52pm

I don't think SCOM can notify service failure in any time lesser than 2-3 seconds.

Though you can set the recovery task to restart the service whenever monitor state changes to critical in occurrence of failed service.

This will help you reduce the impact due to failed service.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2015 12:47am

That's what we have done for the recovery task.

We need some solid information regarding this time frame. Please suggest.

March 31st, 2015 6:07am

Hi Raj,

Can you confirm if it is 2 - 3 seconds or minutes you get notified ?

As of i know 2 - 3 seconds is not bad and also even if you write a powershell script to fetch the service failure capture on the server where the service is located that also will take 2-3 seconds.

I would give a suggestion you create a Event based alerting rule --> Use system log for the log location and then search for the event id and description what it appears when it crashes.

Event id: XXX

Event source: XX

EventDescription: The Critical service crashed / or what your Event body contains for that.

Try and see if Event based rule is faster than service monitor.

March 31st, 2015 12:31pm

hi Gautam,

it is also taking the same amount of time. 

Is is their any document which shows how much time does it take to process an alert.

April 1st, 2015 6:59am

Hi Raj,

1. As of i know i don't think there is a official or a document prepared by any one out there on how fast is the alerting in SCOM.

2. But how ever you can verify if there is latency of alerts even though your agents are reporting the alerts fast but SCOM is displaying it late or sending notifications late.

For the 2nd poing refer: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dirkbri/archive/2014/08/19/analyzing-scom-2012-alert-logging-latency.aspx

July 10th, 2015 3:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics