Service Startup Failure
I am running Server 2003 (with all updates). I recently removed the parallel port plug-in adapter card from the motherboard because I didn't need it anymore. Now when I boot, I receive an error message "On or more services failed to start..." Checking the Error Log, the error message is that the parallel port service could not start. No surprise there! Checking the Services app it is not clear to me which service I should stop. Thanks...
April 20th, 2010 8:01pm

Hi, The service is not listed in Services.msc. Open Regedit, go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ParPort, change the value of "Type" to 4. This can help disable the service from booting with system.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2010 10:22am

Hi , Not all applications would necessarily installs / registers service under SCM database. So most of the hardware ( PNP ) wont deploy services, but if the vendor provides an UI and interacts with users / other components of windows , they they provide a service. Normal driver would come with an inf and the .sys file , so a better way is to check the manual to understand if your app installs as a service.
April 21st, 2010 12:17pm

I made the change to the registry and the error message disappeared. Problem solved. Thanks...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2010 8:32pm

Hi. I researched what I could find for the add-in parallel/serial port card. Documentation was minimal. The change to the registry suggested by Shanon Shan eliminated the error message. The old add-in card behaved badly from the beginning. Communications problems that I had attritubed to other factors turned out to be caused by the card. I am not surprised that the driver for this card left behind crumbs, even after being uninstalled. Thanks for your help.
April 21st, 2010 8:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics